Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can go wrong next???

Craig
    Well, finally got the drive fixed and back on the boat along with a return style regulator system. All hooked up and ready to go
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...f/P3143618.JPG
    I was running my Hydromotive 31 4-blade. Man, two full tanks, two people and a packed cooler, this prop struggled to get on plane. I can live with it if it gives the speed it's supposed to though. I was just out to put a couple of hours on the drive and check the motor for leaks and stuff.
    Got back maybe 2 miles and started getting some valve noise. Got worse. We stopped and were towed back to the dock
    Still had a good day at the lake after jumping in Donnie's Daytona.
    Pulled the exhaust manifold back a little today and removed the starboard valve cover. As I lifted it off something fell into the bilge, that ain't good This is what I had;
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...f/P3153652.JPG
    When I broke the drive it zinged the motor pretty good. The engine idled fine in the driveway Saturday, but when I got it to the lake, maybe the load on the motor let the adjuster back out. Who know's? Didn't look like it hurt anything. Put it all back together and adjusted the rest of the valves. Fired up and sounded OK. Maybe hit the lake tomorrow in preparation for our Pleasant gathering Saturday!

Kilrtoy
    That sucks, sorry to hear that.

Craig
    Trying to be positive, it could have been worse Anything I can fix at home for no $$$$$ is not that bad! Hopefully next Saturday will be a blast and I can actually be a driver instead of a passenger!

HP350SC
    Did you check the pushrod to see if it was bent?

andy01
    Good to see you got the drive fixed! Let us know what kind of number you pull and how hard it pulls Donnie?
    Andy

DogHouse
    Craig, I hope you didn't hurt that motor, we have some boatin' to do this summer!
    Ya know, a stud girdle would make sure those poly "locks" never come loose. Also make a good excuse to step up to a big nasty mechanical roller cam and valve springs! Of course then you'd need a bigger blower...

Craig
    HP350SC, yeah, I rolled the pushrod over a nice flat surface figuring I might have bent it, but it doesn't appear to have been tweaked
    racingrascal, if I ever get some good safe water to really wind her up one morning, you can bet I'll post the details If there's some normal afternoon chop out there, I'll never beat Donnie regardless of what my "ultimate" top speed is. Real world, that Advantage can't compete with and extra 4 1/2 feet
    Doghouse, you know, as stupid as it sounds, I have a set of stud girdles sitting on the shelf. I have to get off my lazy butt and put them on one day. Maybe next time I pulled the valve covers. You back up and runnin'? We're going to hang local next weekend instead of Havazoo. Want to get some hours on the boat. I'd still like to try a 34 Bravo to compare to the Hydromotive.

blown23vee
    Man I'm looking forward to Saturday!! Hey, does anyone want to bring their spare 28 bravo 4 blade along for me to try?? When we get out to speed test the two lower units eventually I think I'll need to have two prop hubs with me too. I believe the shorty I bought has the bigger prop shaft.
    See everybody soon!

FASTERDAMITT
    Craig, This is wierd!! I had the exact same thing happen two years ago. It even looks like the same rocker!! Let me guess the port side front correct. I "did" have a bent push rod however. After that I installed better heads so I don't know if I had any other damage to the valvetrain. I know the bottom end was ok. I'm sure your ok if the pushrod did'nt bend. Good Luck!!
    By the way the web site Is lookin great!!!

Craig
    Actually it was the starboard side Got that fixed yesterday. Damn trim gauge still only comes down to about half even though the drives tucked all the way in. Need to go back out again tomorrow and adjust the floats and try and figure out the trim gauge. I don't feel real comfortable jammin' on it at this point without knowing a true drive position. I did take it up a bit once, not full throttle yet, hit 102 and change but without my sunglasses I couldn't see anything clearly, so backed out of it. Doing that crap out there when I'm by myself is probably dumb too. The prop felt good in the mid range
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...s/P3163664.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast