Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! BBF wont start when hot

riverbound
    My boat starts every time when the motor is cold. But if
    I run it and then turn it off it will not start (the starter will turn very slowly) If I sit for about 10 mins. it will start right up. Any ideas?
    I paid someone $1200 to supposedly fix this problem and it still does it. By the way I have a new gear reduction starter 2 new batts. new ignition system (dist.,cap,coil)
    I have been chasing this problem for 2 years now.

FoMoCo
    Check the Battery Cables! What size are they? Oh ya, make suer your Ground from thye Battery to the block is good also! I had the hot cranking problem for 3 years on my 65 ranchero! It ended up being the cable tah goes from the Solinod to the starter was
    Corroded . Replaced it and it solved the problem!

Jungle Boy
    My brother had the same problem with his 460ci. He ended up doing all sorts of trouble shooting and finally talked to a guy that told him to put another solenoid right at the starter. He also changed a bunch of wiring just to clean things up while he installed the solenoid. After all that, he's never had a problem.

riverbound
    Battery cables are all 2ga. and were replaced in the $1200 the starter has its own solenoid built into it . and I have checked and rechecked all grounds and connections. I have no idea what to do.

Had a similar problem with mine for a while. Turned out to be the starter. Started just fine when cold, but take a run, then try to start it before it cooled down and it would do the old aruh aruh aruh. Just cuz the starters new doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Mine was pretty new at the time (less than a year old).
    Tell ya what...................here's a freebie. Run down to your local Autozone, Schucks, Kraegan or whatever, and get a cheap ass starter. Hook it up and give it a shot. Run it for a day and If it doesn't cure the problem for ya, they'll usually take it back no questions asked.
    You might want to check you ignition timing as well, if it's too far advanced +36 degrees BTDC it'll tend to be hard starting.
    One last thing I can think of, altough it would probably be there all the time and not just when it's hot.............how's the clearance between the flexplate/flywheel and the starter gear. Could it be binding?

hack job
    you might want to look in to a remote solenoid. they are pretty good
    my guess is the starter is getting heat soaked. ad cause the condidtion you are talking about.
    good luck!

cheech
    does your ground cables go to the block (clean to the metal) or to an aluminum adaptor. you can put a remote starter relay .buy a ford fender mounted relay, make a metal strap that goes from big post to s-terminal on starter. run a large batt. cable to other relay( mounted anywhere). hook the switch wire to small terminal and the big post to the battery. does your motor have the timming locked out and is your timing really high.

MudPumper
    Trade it in for a BBC, it will start every time. LOL My buddy had this prob he added a remoted solenoid.

Maxey
    Riverbound,
    It sounds like you may have a "hot solenoid" or a voltage drop problem.
    Very few shops understand "voltage drop". You didn't say what you have for an engine, but I would reccomend "0"
    or "00" cables, especially if you have a BB. Ron's Wire Works sells a "Hot Start Relay" that can be very helpful in situation like yours. MAKE SURE that the
    battery you have is adequate for the engine. (Proper CCA rating) I would not reccomend a "Ford" type relay for your
    situation.
    Cheers,

JETBOY03
    i had the same problem in my 1940 ford it was the solinod changed it and problem gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast