Thread: Need help with u-joint sizing

matt1
    Does anyone know if there is a universal size that fits most drive lines.I brought my old one to a Napa store and they mesured it but when I instaled it and got both clips in it became real stiff almost just like it was a few thousanths to big.

Jetmugg
    I think there are only 2 common sizes. I don't have the info right in front of me, but I think the part numbers are 1310 and 1350. The 1350s are bigger, and won't even come close to fitting a 1310 yoke. If they fit in the yoke, you have the right ones.
    SteveM

Taylorman
    Originally posted by matt1
    Does anyone know if there is a universal size that fits most drive lines.I brought my old one to a Napa store and they mesured it but when I instaled it and got both clips in it became real stiff almost just like it was a few thousanths to big.
    Hey, call me. When i changed mine, they were stiff also. I remember my dad hitting the coupler with a hammer and they loosened up. I'll call him and ask him about it.

Blown 472
    yup, smack the back side of the yoke away from the joint near the cap end and it should loosen up, unless you dropped a needle bearing and it is jamming up the cap.

Chris J
    You usually have to support the yokes on each side then tap the H-bar or drive shaft to seat the cups out against the clips. Then the opposite for the H-bar. Most american made auto/light duty trucks, farm equiptment ect. will use one of three types of Yokes 1310, 1330 , 1350. (Ford liked the 1330s on the 9" rears). It would be impossible to mix up one of the three as they are more than just a few .001" different.
    I little bind won't hurt as long as you can move it by hand. If its real tight you may have dropped a needle bearing out between the cap and the u-joint cross. Usually can not get both clips in when this happens.

Chris J
    Damm... I need to learn to type faster