Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Speed Turn

LaveyJet

mirvin
    I hope everything is stowed properly.

LaveyJet
    No Kidden, I was on the Carrier Midway when we had a man go overboard. Made a hard turn to port, could hardly stand up. Stuff was all over the place.

mirvin
    How 'bout that big catapillar looking thing on the deck? I'm suprised that thing didn't go tumbling

mbrown2
    Is that photochopped; just looks funny, like I cannot even tell which way it is turning...Does it roll to the outside like a cat or inside like a v......If it is rolling to the outside maybe, but if rolling to the inside, why the wake on the left side of the pic.......
    If it is real, I would hate to see it hook.

VD CRUISER
    Hey, I helped build that boat. I worked on Flat Tops at work and Flat Bottoms at home. They do roll to the outside like that.

ROZ
    I know a guy who works over at Suothwest marine inSan Diego. He is one of theguys that takes repaired vessels out to sea and test runs them. He said the carriers are capable of 60knots and can maueuver pretty well. Top speed they are the fastest in the fleet. They have to be, they launch planes from them..Even in a head wind..

LaveyJet
    Top speed they are the fastest in the fleet. They have to be, they launch planes from them..Even in a head wind..
    Wind is not the problem, it's the lack of wind. Need about 30 knots across the deck to launch planes, if there's no wind then the boats got to haul ass.

Trash
    Yes, that picture is real. Usually done for sea trials. I can assure you the yellow crane on deck is secured, as is all the other gear.
    Wind over deck isn't too big of a deal, but alignment with the wind is. 30 knots of wind is not a hard and fast requirement. It's a function of many things, primarily aircraft weight, configuration, temp etc. There is usually enough power dialed up in the cats to get the required end speed without the carrier having to pull the rods.

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by secondchance
    No Kidden, I was on the Carrier Midway when we had a man go overboard. Made a hard turn to port, could hardly stand up. Stuff was all over the place.
    Wouldn't they just send a helocopter back for the dude??? Seems like sending that huge wake from that turn would do more harm than good! :eek!:
    RTJas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast