Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New truck Gear Ratio Help?

roln 20s
    If all goes well, I'm buying a new 2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab tomorrow. Its has the 5.3 Vortec motor. My question, taking in consideration within a year I will have a Howard bullet (currently only tow a Malibu ski boat), what GEAR RATIO should I get: 3.73 or 3.42. Whats the benefits of one vs the other? The 3.42 is standard and the 3.73 is $50 bucks more. Just want to get the best for my purposes.
    Thanks,
    Roln 20s

jackpunx
    Is the diameter of your 20's going to end up the same as stock?.. I say go with the bigger 373..

Sleek-Jet
    Go deep. The 3.73's are what you'll end up wishing for after you've pulled with the taller gears.
    If you wait, your looking at a grand easy to change gears in the pumpkin.

Jrocket
    3.73's

Flying Tiger
    Towing with that motor may require the 3.73. But if you open the new truck Silverado sales brochure, it has a scale listed of what rear end for what motor considering the weight you're towing.
    The sales brochure is on line too at gm.com.
    (What ever weight you think you may have, add another 10% for intangables like beer, Baccardi, the blender, ice, Tequila, ect ect.)
    I've found heeding the brochures recomendations has always worked for me.
    Get posi too..

roln 20s
    Thanks guys- what will the 3.73s do to my gas mileage, if any.
    Jackpunx-- I think the new total diameter of the 20s is 31.8, and the stocks are 30 inches, so we have a 1.8 inch variance. What does this mean, besides my speedo will be off.
    Roln 20s

jackpunx
    Other then the speedo.. (minor).. They are recommending that you run 3.42 with a 30" diameter.. if you add some size to that it will take more power to turn the tires.. also ,, your going to be pulling some weight behind it.. Go with the 3.73’s... unless you plan and adding a S/C.. Glad to see your plan is coming together..
    First the truck..
    then the new boat... HEll YEA.. Im putting mine away and Rolln 20,s with you

jackpunx
    the gas milage will be minor. unless you were to go with 411 or 456.. then it would suck..

roln 20s
    You can always roll with my Jackpunx- especially if you come down with a fear of speed, on a good day the Malibu is running 42, seriously...hold on
    You gonna be in havasu next weekend- saturday the 27th? Oh yeah, I just have to touch up some paint and fix a couple of tiles the the back yard is done (well minus the landscaping, but that shouldn't take to long). I'm gonna have to get Fourspeednup to bring some college sluts over for a hot tub/bbq party.
    Roln 20s

jackpunx
    LOL.. Im leaving today.. Taking off from the office at 9.. and out of town by 12.. .. I was going to stay with Zach.. but I ended up getting my timeshare at the Nautical. Good deal with your house.. Im going to have to come out there again soon and hang with you guys.. Call my if you get a wild hair and want to come down to the river this weekend.. Othwerwise.. We'll see ya on the 24th

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast