Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Oldsmobile style" BBC?

manuel
    This seems interesting,
    http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/7f/a1/ff_1_b.JPG
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=26432
    Why did they make them look like Olds motors ?

wsuwrhr
    I have no idea, maybe trying to sandbag. Why on earth would you PAINT and aluminum KB block?
    That is the only thing I can think of.
    Brian

Back Forty
    Looks like a DRCE..?

superdave013
    Originally posted by Back Forty
    Looks like a DRCE..?
    That's what I'm thinkin.
    If you could pick both of those up for 20K that would be a steal if they are not hurt.

wsuwrhr
    The ad says KB block, how could it be a DRCE? Or maybe it is a typical EBay ad, no idea what they are selling.
    Brian

BigBoyToys
    If you look at the "view sellers other items" you can see the 2nd motor. There is a closeup of the block that says, Keith Black Oldsmobile. And you can see where the paint is peeling off that it is aluminum.

Here is a quote from the Keith Black Racing (http://www.keithblack.com) website:
    "The KB600 Oldsmobile block uses big block Chevrolet internal components, which are available through Keith Black Racing Engines. Cylinder heads and manifolds are available through General Motors. The blocks are cast from the same 356 T-6 virgin aluminum that all KB Blocks share, (except for the Stage 15 fuel block) to ensure only the highest quality material. A multi-pattern bell housing pattern is machined into the rear of the block for use with GM or Chrysler transmissions. The big block Chevrolet or Oldsmobile head bolt pattern can be machined in the block. "
    I wonder if this is where the idea for the DRCE Olds motor came from. The website states these blocks were developed in the 1980's.
    The cylinder heads in the pictures match the DRCE heads in the GM Performance Parts catalog.For that matter, the DRCE block pics seem to match the KB block.
    EDIT:In checking the Performance Parts catalog, it states that the DRCE block is "to be ordered direct from the manufacturer" and then it lists Keith Black's phone number. I guess that answers all the questions about the DRCE heritage.

wsuwrhr
    Good post Oldsquirt
    Brian

TopCat
    The way i understand it ,it was developed as an Olds to take andvantage of rules at the time that benefitted Olds maybe pro stock not sure where i read it

Foggerjet
    I also read somewhere that KB cast some of the DRCE "olds" motors, It seems like Arias or Donovan made some too. I can't remember. I read it a long time ago.
    fog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast