Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Log

mrme
    Pulled the boat out today and found this little nasty.
    It looks as if it may have been welded before. Can this be welded again. Well thats the last time i pay to winterise the boat, try to save a little time and thats what you get. Had a nice talk with the marina however. No compensations will be made. Oh well live and learn.

Don't waste time or money trying to repair that. Looks way too thin and probably shouldn't have been repaired the last time.
    With the number of guys who have swapped out their Olds for BBC and BBF, you should be able to locate a good used log from someone here. If not, they may still available new from Glenwood.

mrme
    Yea why waste the time.. and more money. So if anyone has or knows of a good used one please let me know im in the market.

We do have new ones available. Manifolds (http://www.rexmar.com/page225.html)
    on used... on Old's it's common to find used ones cracked in the center area inside with the siemeise exhaust ports reside. Also common to find them with warped flanges. So be careful what you buy and pressure test them before the transaction if it's not someone you know will stand behind what they're selling you.
    On the one you have if that damage is only to the external wall you could form a patch out of aluminum sheet and weld it over the top. Not pretty but it works, I've seen it done successfully. Check to make sure there's no runner damage inside first though or all the effort patching is wasted. Water leaking through the runners into the exhaust port is not a good thing.

mrme
    Is there an easy way to check for runner damage ?

superdave013
    Originally posted by mrme
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
    Those look pretty good and the price looks right so far.
    Ya know, if they left water in that side I bet they also left water in the other side and the snals too. You could have crack on the inside that you can't see with out pressure testing them. I would do that with about 20 -30 psi of compressed air. Better to find out now before you pump a bunch of water in a cylinder and hydrolock the engine. hydrolock = broken pistons and or bent rods.

Originally posted by mrme
    Is there an easy way to check for runner damage ?
    Only what you can see visually and pressure checking.

mrme
    Can anyone explain the process of pressure testing the logs ?
    Thanks guys

victorfb
    i have a set of logs and risers very similar to the ones shown on the ebay site you posted. instead of saying hardin marine i think they say performance marine or something like that. the ones you have now that are cracked are almost identicle to the ones i ran on my olds, which i prefered over the others. so i have em sitting here. i have had people on here give me great deals so i am more than willing to pass on the good fortune. they are yours if you want them, only problem is that i am in california.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast