Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1985 200merc loads up

VIKING
    I have a 200merc that loads up when getting set for a skier or no wake zones. This is my second 200 .the last was a 1975 may it rest in peace. I ASSUMED the 85 would not load up but it is the same. Any help?

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by VIKING
    This is my second 200 .the last was a 1975 may it rest in peace.
    I'll bet the old one was an inline 8. They were known for loading up.
    How deep are the engines mounted, Viking? Maybe you've got a depth choke problem?

VIKING
    No. the first 200 I put on her was a V6. The owner before me had his d--k beaters all over the motor and with some fine tune and NOS it ran good but it still would load up. The local Merc dealer said it has always been a problem with that type. He had suggested to tilt the motor when at idle to keep the fuel from collecting in the back of the cylinders, it helps but not much. The newer 200 is the same. The depth is not the problem because I have a Bobs power jack plate and know matter how high I have it it still Loads up. I have to rev it up and clean it out, then go. She runs strong when you do that. but with all the smoke and noise"you just can't be cool" at least untill you start flying and kickin a big tail. I had thought about a EGT and start changing jets but I thought I would check with the powerheads. what do you think?

DUCKY
    Check your enrichener valve. The ones on the older motors had a knob on them, and some people liked to open them slightly, especially when the motor was stored improperly, and the carbs get plugged up. And sometimes, they just plain leak. What is the elevation where you boat? If the motor has 0-3000ft jets in it, and you are at 3500 or higher, it's gonna load up. Also, how is the tune up (timing and synch, etc....) Post your carb numbers (stamped on the flange, WH-??) and I will post you correct jet sizes. Also, if the float height is incorrect (too high) the will load as well.

bilgewiper
    my 89 Merc 200 sounds like it loads up at idle speeds and smokes like a diesel also. I run synthetic oil and mix at 50:1 (O.I. removed). But even after a long 5mph zone I can drop the hammer on it and it won't stumble or stall. Never smokes except at idle. Sounds like we have simular problems. I've tried tilting motor up etc.....nothing works. Motor is in excellent condition otherwise

bilgewiper
    Ducky: Hey does my carbs WH-46 (I think those are the carb numbers?) have those enrichment knobs you were talking about?
    Viking: Oops, sorry to have used your thread to get some answers also. It's just our problems sound simular.

VIKING
    No problem Bilgewiper this is what it's all about, helping each other. Ducky, I will have to get the carb #'s later today. Our elevation is about 500 ft above. The guy I purchased the motor from worked as a marine mech. he now owns a used car lot. He had put new Boysen reeds and rebuilt the carbs new vac lines. He had planned on putting the motor on his boat, but sold it, so I bought the motor. The oil I run is Amsoil 100:1 yes thats correct 100:1. I have used it on all my two strokes even the ones that rev to 9000 rpms, it's really good stuff. 8oz per 6 gallons.

sorry dog
    I'll bet the old one was an inline 8. They were known for loading up.
    I heard they ran strong though. Too bad they only made it for one year.
    BTW - have you had any luck finding a new Ficht injector for your XR-4.

DUCKY
    Originally posted by bilgewiper
    Ducky: Hey does my carbs WH-46 (I think those are the carb numbers?) have those enrichment knobs you were talking about?
    Viking: Oops, sorry to have used your thread to get some answers also. It's just our problems sound simular.
    The enrichener valve is not on the carb itself. It is off the the right side mounted to a couple of intake manifold bolts. it has a small hose coming off the bottom of the top carb, and another hose that is tee'd the the flange area on the second and third carb. I don't know what year they changed, but I think in the late 80's the went from the all metal "knob" type enrichener, to a half plastic unit with a button. The button style is much more reliable. All carbureted outboards will load up some when idling, due to the lack of suffcient heat in the combustion camber to keep the plugs clean. If it sounds like it's loading up, but has no cough or stumble when you hammer it after a long idling period....leave it be. But if the motor wants to buck, die and sneeze while idling, and/or argues with it operator when it's time to go again, then it needs some attention.

VIKING
    Ducky: When it loads up she just won't go. I have to trim up and rev her up until the smoke clears. then trim down and hammer down. the boat will run strong until you stop and idle. I will get the carb #'s and look for the valve.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast