Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 496 Procharger

airtrapper
    Anybody running there new system on a 496 yet? Procharger said it only makes 3 lbs. of boost?
    [This message has been edited by airtrapper (edited August 07, 2001).]

Chris@Procharger
    We have a 496 installed in our 28' Eliminator American Eagle. It is actually the motor that the system was devloped on. The boat runs great. The system was set at 3psi of boost for one because it takes little boost to make large horsepower gains and two the motor is based on a new platform. The 5psi system is being worked on and should be available once we feel comfortable that the motor is able to withstand the power being made by the Procharger.
    Thanks,
    [This message has been edited by Chris@Procharger (edited August 17, 2001).]

DainBramaged
    Any numbers on HP gains? I have the 496 HO (425 stock HP) and am curious as to the HP output with the Procharger. I am hoping for 550+, but with only 3lbs. boost sounds like it could be less...

FIREMAN
    Me too. I've got the 496 HO in my 24 Commander and would like to know for sure what it's gonna do. Thanks, Dusty

SUPERCREWJOHN
    I saw the article in HB with the 350 Mag's producing over 500HP. I am curious to know what ProCharger expects from the 496 HO & 496 MAG. Also, Do you recommend upgrading the drive in the case assuming that you have a Bravo 1 or should we just use a complete aftermarket setup like the IMCO?

ponponracing
    Remember my friends, you have power numbers but you have no mention of reliability. A dyno pull last a few seconds and whatever the result, nothing there last long enough to tell you what will happen in your boat when you will be racing someone.
    I'm sorry, I'm still playing troublemaker.

Unchained
    Any blower setup like the procharger that blows the pressure into the top of the carb will be very low boost and low performance. Any more than 6 psi of boost will overcome the fuel pressure and no fuel will flow into the floatbowl. Spend your dough on a real blower like one from Littlefield, BDS, Hampton, etc.

James'SS-24
    I'm wondering the same thing. I just recieved a brochure from Procharger that claims 580 horse from the 496 HO. Right now they have a off season sale on and according to what they sent me on Friday the system lists at 5500 but during the month of October it is 4700. But will the engine live with it???? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif

ponponracing
    Why don't you ask them how long your motor is going to last under continuous severe load usage?

schiada96
    Let me know if I'm wrong the new 496 is basically a .250 stroke big block gen 6 with symmetrical port heads and the firing order changed. So it is just a big block. Get the fuel curve and the timing right and put a little boost to it and it should live. Don't be scared have fun, boost is your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast