Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick question on alternators

hd&boatrider
    I will be running 4 Odessey batteries with my new stereo and 1 battery for the boat. I am concerned about having to upgrade the alternator. Usually what I do is play the music hard all day and turn the perko to all when driving to recharge. If I pull the boat out for the night I charge the batteries with a 10 AMP charger. The potential problem is when I leave the boat in a slip for a few days and there is no external power source available. I really don't understand it fully about the alternator upgrade. If I shut the battery switch to off overnight when charging is not available does that solve my problem?
    Alright, who wants to teach me alternator/batteries 101? Any input would be appreciated.

PerfectionDtail
    Contact Froggy. He is the man with this stuff and he has helped me out with my set up. You can throw a wire from the alternator to the batteries and it can only help but it will take a long ride to get any kind of charge out of them.
    From what I was quoted, a 120-150 amp marine alternator is almost $1000. You can get one of these to charge the system. My stock Merc alternators are only 60 or 65 amps so a 150 amp would be a significant jump and should help a lot more than what you have. As long as you don't have twins(double the cost), it seems like a good route to go.

rivercrazy
    Charging 4 drained batteries at the same time will work an alternator really hard. If you can swing it, charging the stereo batteries at the end of the day on a charger will make the alternator last longer.
    I've been doing that on 2 Optima deep cycles for 3 years and they are still going like they were new.

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by rivercrazy
    Charging 4 drained batteries at the same time will work an alternator really hard. If you can swing it, charging the stereo batteries at the end of the day on a charger will make the alternator last longer.
    I've been doing that on 2 Optima deep cycles for 3 years and they are still going like they were new.
    RC-----Many times, actually most of the time the boat is int he water overnight with no power available. Whenever I pull it out I always charge the batteries.

Havasu Hangin'
    If you're gonna charge all those batteries, I'd upgrade your alternator. Each battery is a load, and the more batteries, the more 'watered down" your charging is off the alternator.
    I'd go with a minimum 100 amp alternator, and make sure you put a minimum 4 guage wire from the alternator to the batteries.
    Piece of cake.

hd&boatrider
    Thanks HH....I am not going to be leaving in the water overnight intially until the summer crowds start. Any suggestions on the alternator or where I should pick it up from?
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    If you're gonna charge all those batteries, I'd upgrade your alternator. Each battery is a load, and the more batteries, the more 'watered down" your charging is off the alternator.
    I'd go with a minimum 100 amp alternator, and make sure you put a minimum 4 guage wire from the alternator to the batteries.
    Piece of cake.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by hd&boatrider
    Thanks HH....I am not going to be leaving in the water overnight intially until the summer crowds start. Any suggestions on the alternator or where I should pick it up from?
    There's a guy in Parker that has a smokin' price on chrome marine 100 amp alternators.
    Ron @ RB Performance
    (928)669-6411
    I think they were like $100 or something. If they were anywhere close to 100 amps...it's a good deal.

1stepcloser
    Teague (http://www.teaguecustommarine.com) has 100 amp chrome single wire alternators for $180.00.
    Two seasons on mine, no problems.

OutCole'd
    After running your stereo all day, just let your boat idle all night to recharge the batteries, should be good to go by the morning..
    Next problem...

hd&boatrider
    WOW! I dodn't think of that....lol
    Originally posted by OutCole'd
    After running your stereo all day, just let your boat idle all night to recharge the batteries, should be good to go by the morning..
    Next problem...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast