Thread: Extended Warranty yes or no?

Mandelon
    I have the opportunity to extend the warranty on my almost new Mercruiser engine. Its a 496 Mag HO. Is it worth it?
    I've pretty much always thought that the warranties were a bit of a scam and not worth the risk of paying the extra $$$. Unless of course you happen to use it, and then its a great investment.
    I don't know how much it might cost, just that its available. Perhaps someone here knows.....
    What's the word on it?

Foggerjet
    I guess it depends on what the extension costs, and if you've had any problems in the past that you're worried about. Keep in mind that an extended warranty is a bet. You're betting the motor will explode, Merc is betting it won't. Make sure the warranty is through Mercury and not some independant warranty company. I've heard horror stories about getting a claim paid. If you have had good service from your motor in the past, and take care of your stuff, the money spent on the extension could be better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion, I usually back down from extended warranties. I'm sure some people swear by them.
    fog

Dave C
    This is a very personal choice. Evaluate the cost of the warranty against the actual parts and labor that is does cover.
    I have an extended warranty (because it transferred ) and IMO its too expensive and IT DOES NOT COVER ENOUGH stuff.
    You need to read the fine print because the warranty DOES NOT COVER EVERYTHING. Its very interesting how much stuff that the extended warranty DOES NOT COVER.
    For example, only covers internal motor parts that are lubricated but not pistons, valves, etc. It doesnt cover the fuel injection system, fuel system. and a couple of other things I can't remember right now.
    However on the flip side of this one good drive blowout and the thing almost pays for itself. Considering the bravo 1 gearsets and shifters are almost $1,500+ for just the parts

Lightning
    I think it also depends on how long you plan on keeping the boat, and how often you use it. It may be a nice extra to have when you sell, assuming it's transferrable

superdave013
    Hell no, that supercharger will void it anyway!