Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel do you get the 5th wheel hook up

Kilrtoy
    If I wanted to put a 5th wheel trailer hitch in the truck where do you get this done and how much is it.....

Jordy
    I got my gooseneck done at Quality Bumper. But most truck accessorie stores should have something. I like the gooseneck much more than the 5th wheel because it pops down out of sight when I don't need it and I don't have to wrestle the hitch and side plates in and out of the truck every time I want to use it.

Kilrtoy
    That was my next question you kinda answered.
    Are they easy to take in and out.
    What is a gooseneck?

Jordy
    The gooseneck looks like a trailer ball (2 5/16") that is in the middle of the bed of the truck. Most of the big horse trailers and a majority of the enclosed race trailers run a goosneck style hitch.
    The 5th wheel isn't hard to take in and out, but you will have rails that are always in the bed of the truck and although they're typically in 3 pieces, 1 of the 3 is rather heavy and awkward to move around, especially if you grease the 5th wheel plate like you're supposed to. Not my idea of a good time.
    It's a matter of wrestling with this:
    http://www.qualitybumper.com/trailer...5thwheel_8.gif
    or just pulling a lever and popping this up and down:
    http://www.qualitybumper.com/trailer...popup_anim.gif
    Adapters are made for most 5th wheel trailers, or you can just have a weld shop fab one up for you to hook it up to the gooseneck.
    http://www.hitchcorner.com/images/go...y_coupler2.jpg

Kilrtoy
    Thanks Jordy
    So what is the price in the two installed?

blueman
    Nice detail Jordy...learned something today..

Jungle Boy
    I don't know if it's an issue where you are at, but in Alberta, you can "B" train your trailer and boat behind the truck as long as you don't go over 20 meters in length. But the kicker is, you need to have an actual 5th wheel pin. A ball type 5th wheel hitch won't cut it. I'm just itching to get out there and pull the new trailer and boat to some great places around Alberta.

HOSS
    And remember to always leave the tailgate in the upright or closed position.

OGShocker
    Originally posted by jordanpaulk
    I got my gooseneck done at Quality Bumper. But most truck accessorie stores should have something. I like the gooseneck much more than the 5th wheel because it pops down out of sight when I don't need it and I don't have to wrestle the hitch and side plates in and out of the truck every time I want to use it.
    Jordy,
    Is your truck lifted? I have a six inch lift and was wondering how the fifth wheel hook up works on a lifted set up...
    OGS

Danhercules
    You dont have to grease you 5th wheel. They make teflon (sp) pads that you can use.
    I like a 5th wheel connection cause one person can do it very quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast