Thread: MSD vs. Mallory

skeepwerkzaz
    I have a comp 9000 & Hyfire box and a MSD & 6Al....which setup should I use? It's a BBC, and I have been using the MSD, but just got a can't-pass-it-up-even-if-I-don't-use-it deal on the Mallory stuff and was wondering if anyone had opinions either way ....
    Skeep"c'mon baby light my fire"werkzaz

Boater Bill
    HaHa, looks like no one wants to opine on this. For what its worth I run Mallory stuff with zero problems. Lights off first time every time.

Hustler
    OK, just to give you something to think about I run the MSD and have had no problems what so ever for the last 4 years and I use mine more than Bill
    So now what are you gonna do with a vote for each?

Boater Bill
    I say...if the MSD system is installed now, why change it unless the HyFire box has more useable (and you are gonna use them) features.
    Hustler....I'll see you on the water.

Lightning
    If the current setup work fine, why bother.

skeepwerkzaz
    I figured that this may just spark an ignition discussion. It seems like everyone here is either pro or against almost everything, but it seems that in this case, silence proves that no one really understands these things. I, for one haven't the foggiest clue how either of these "boxes" work. And to a lesser degree whether or not mag pick-up or optic style distributers are more conducive to a marine environment. Thanks however for the "for what it's worth comments," they do help. We are still at a straight-up tie........anymore input??????
    Clay

Boater Bill
    OK, a couple o' questions:
    What model HyFire?
    Is your engine compartment open or closed?
    I'm not pro or con to either brand, just happen to run Mallory. I run a Unilite dist which most peep's on these boards will tell you is "junk", and the box is a IVa which is not multiple spark or potted for the marine environment. I have the box mounted on the front of the engine and am very careful to minimize water on it when washing the boat. The distributer (BBC) has been hosed down many a time both on the water and when washing, with no signs of rust/corrosion. Someone has posted on these boards some issues with MSD dist's having issues in this area but that could just be an isolated case.
    I'm no racer or the fastest guy on the water by any means. Just here to provide info based on my knowledge/experience.

skeepwerkzaz
    Thanks Bill,
    The Mallory is a VIa, and I have my box (MSD) mounted in a watertight compartment under my seat.

Boater Bill
    Check out the Mallory info on www.mrgasket.com. This should be helpful.
    Both ignition boxes are very similar. I would not invest the time for changeover. If you had the HyFire VI box and could use the added features now or with upgrades planned for in the future, I would say change.
    I'm not aware of any pro/cons as to optical/magnetic triggering. The ultimate seems to be a crank trigger set up but I feel thats overkill for most river/lake rockets.
    Hope this helps!