Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken prop shaft question?

dorC
    When the boat is tipping over is when the prop can really hook up with a lot of engine torque. The shaft will wrap up until it finally twists right off. It's the drivers responsibility to apply the power gingerly. 750hp is not a whole lot, but it is stil beyond the drives capabilites. He should be stepping up to a XR drive. Going to the 1.25 prop shaft will stop the shear, but the problem will now be the vertical shaft or the gears. The broken shafts do occure on cats with only 500hp. The reentry with the high x-dims causes the shafts to flex and fatigue. Again, it's the drivers responsibility to work the throttles.

Dennis26
    Just got off the phone with Max Machine. They recommended replacing my B1 shaft with their 1" shaft. They said because of the material their shaft is made of, the 1" would still be stronger than an XR 1 1/4". Parts and labor would be about $700-$800, which seems pretty cheap.

mbrown2
    Originally posted by Dennis26
    Just got off the phone with Max Machine. They recommended replacing my B1 shaft with their 1" shaft. They said because of the material their shaft is made of, the 1" would still be stronger than an XR 1 1/4". Parts and labor would be about $700-$800, which seems pretty cheap.
    Finally, a little bit of good news..

mbrown2
    Den,
    Here is a pic of JRocket's Max Machine Bravo drive...a shaft is a good start
    http://www.highperformancecars.com/j...mach26_041.jpg

HP350SC
    These guys are awesome, real down to earth brothers and they have taken a look at, and improved every single part in the Bravo. I sent just my upper case down(and a check for 12,450!) and they are sending back 1:26 geared complete outdrive with new 2"sportmaster lower with 1" spacer and every upgrade they have, along with WPM dual ram steering. Time will tell how durable their work is, I'm pretty optimistic as my boat is a light tunnel and only 720 hp. They tell me hit it as hard as you want!

HP350SC
    Originally posted by mbrown2
    Den,
    Here is a pic of JRocket's Max Machine Bravo drive...a shaft is a good start
    http://www.highperformancecars.com/j...mach26_041.jpg
    That looks nice!!! Is that WPM steering and are they the longer rams of the two?? My transom is similar to that with the cav. plates and I ordered the longer ones because my pipes are between the gimbal and plate brackets. How old is that drive and how has it held up?

mbrown2
    HP350, send JRocket a PM, he could give the details on the drive; it is his.

Tee
    I have also seen that happen when the owner forgets to put the thrust washer on

waterroach
    AARON & JASON ARE GREAT AT MAX MACHINE, BLEW 2 DRIVES BEFORE GOING TO SEE THEM,STARTING MY 3RD SEASON,PUSHING CLOSE TO 950HP ON 24FT HTM.

HP350SC
    Here's my new drive from Max....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast