Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get Drag boat going..need help!

ShowDown
    Hi guys, I am new to the boards and I have a question for y'all. I recently purchased a 19ft chyenne tunnel at a Police Auction and we are trying to put it together to play with at the races this year since we sold our race car. From what I understand the boat was raced before and it is single seat center steer already. We are going to put the N/A 572 direct port nitrous motor out of the car in it after a few mods are made to it, but I have never raced boats before and I have some questions about the rigging of the boat so that it will pass whatever tech inspections you guys have, and what types of equipment I am going to need in order to line up and run it. Also, the pump on this thing has got some type of device installed on what I remember from my earlier jet boat days as being the hand hole clean out, and it has a cable running from it up to the drivers area, What the hell is it?? The pump is a Berk JG with an Aggressor bowl and impeller. I have no idea what bracket we will wind up in but I was told by someone that they didn't think we could run our direct port nitrous system in the brackets, does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone else have a chyenne and if so what kind of numbers does it run and with how much power? Sorry for all the questions.

ok im bitting!
    the only advice that i will offer is:
    learn everything you can about your boat "BEFORE" you install any kind of shot to that motor! (i dont know a thing about your hull, sorry)
    now, im by no means a racer,... but you had better have that bottom worked or at least checked out by someone who knows quite a bit about whats going on out in the boat racing world!
    if it were me...ide have the complete boat stripped and start all over with new hardware throughout!
    after all,...its your life, do with it as you see fit!
    most everythin that ive learned about my boat and how i am now setting it up, is from the discussions that take place on these boards, im sure that there are quite a few people (racers) that will be more than happy to help you line up!
    oh! and if you have any pics....we like that too!
    good luck!
    todd

wsuwrhr
    Simply put,
    The hand hole deal is a pressure pop-off release for the pump. If the motor seizes on a high speed run, you pull the release, and the water can bypass the impeller, allowing you to slow down without going for a swim.
    Brian
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-012f-med.jpg

ShowDown
    Thanks for the reply toddnjuzz. I have actually spoken to the man who built this hull and "did the bottom", his name was on a decal on the side of the boat as in So in SO Racing!. He gave me a little info on the hull and I was actually considering taking the boat to him and letting him help, however there were two things stopping me, one of them was the fact that when it came down to the nitty gritty he really didn't want to talk about it anymore, he just wanted me to bring him the boat and let him do it all because in his words he new these boats better than anybody else...and the other thing was that he is in California and I really don't have the time to be taking the boat back and forth. I have nothing against the guy personally, hell I have never even meat him, but I find it hard to believe that he is the only MoFo in the world who can properly set this boat up. I just need someone to check out what I have and give me some professional guidence, I don't need someone to run the damn valves and back the trailer for me. He wanted to do it all or nothing and treated me like an ignorant hillbilly from the sticks. I do want someone to look at the boat who knows what they are doing, and I am willing to pay to have quality work done on it if need be, but I am capable of doing most of the mechanical stuff myself as in engine building/tuning/ installation and removel. Nothing against any of you West Coast guys, I just have a hard time playing the "Cuz I said so" game. I have a lot of friends in Cali and I know not all of you guys are that way. Thanks for the reply dude.

DUDE?..... isnt that a"WART" on the tip of a pigs penis?
    J/K not a problem,...there are a shitpot of people on these boards that (i can safetly say) "will" help you out!
    todd

1 fast okie
    get hold of gary snow he is some where around dallas i think. he has a jet boat company called performance marine i think.he list on this board also as snowmano69 i think. he knows more about your boat than anybody else in your area. in fact one of my buddys use to own his ex racing cheyenne. if i get more facts on how to get hold of him i'll let you know

LakesOnly
    Berkley JG is a really nice race pump and a 572 is what belongs in front of it. Don't know what that engine came out of, but marine bearing clearances tend to be a little looser than standard automotive clearances, usually 4-tenths "on up" (plus).
    What year is the Cheyenne? From around 1972-up, the last two numbers of the hull ID denote the year model. (Hull ID is located on RS of stern.) If the first three letters of the hull ID are CUY or JBX, it is not a true Cheyenne but an inferior splash-boat. Never-the-less, it sounds like it has been set up to run fast so I'll gamble that your hull is okay...
    LO

Welcome..
    I think jumping into a tunnell W/ a 570" motor on nos is a pretty big step. Take baby steps in getting this thing ready.Its a tottally different deal than racing your car.Im sure your more than qualified to race it, you just need to get a feel for things, like how to shut down after a pass, what to watch for and what changes to the hardware do to the ride of the boat. These air entrapment hulls need to be set up just right when you lotsa hp or your asking for trouble.
    As far as your questions about tech,pop off and nos, heres what I know.
    You need all the saftey gear for yourself, chute jacket,helmet, ballistic shorts. bla bla ..check with your organization on what they require.
    Your boat is definatly going to need a pop off or ratchet.At NJBA you need one or the other if you run 100 mph.Sounds like you have the old school pop off valve, I hear mixed things about them. The new ones are air or electronically operated.Look into a ratchet or "jetaway" your gonna need it.No half ass rigging or crappy wiring, and for all your motor mounts make sure you have atleast a 1/4 inch of bolts sticking out past the nut, rope deflector and im sure im forgetting a few things..
    I know NJBA wont allow nos in a bracket, others may allow, but I would be surprised.
    Find a professional who your comfortable with and stick with one guy. There are some really good jet guys here in cali, it just may be worth your trip out here to talk/show your boat to some of them.Good Luck and keep us posted. Need pics too.

screamdreambrad
    show down give tom papp racing a call (909)734-4606he used to build cheyennes, if it is a race boat it more than likely doesn't have a h.i.n.( especially if the deck is capped). there is someone building them now in the south somewhere, can't remember where though. what cs said about slow and easy gettin started! these tunnels will bite ya with that kind of power. i think you can run oxide in sdba,ihba. njba no. but being in tx. you probably don't care about njba. as far as speed, 1100 or there abouts will get ya around 120, in the 8's, give or take. if that was pisetti's boat you'll be happy. brad

screamdreambrad
    i found it. thread called birth of a cheyenne. phoenix fiberglass in eureka springs, ar. is building the cheyennes now. brad

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast