Thread: changing gears

76cole
    what the best way to change gears in a casale v-drive?
    can i do it in the boat or do i have to take it out and split
    the cases? thanks
    76cole

INEEDAV
    Casale Drawings and Instructions (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=38170)
    76 Cole
    Here is a link to drawings and instructions, they are near the bottom of the page. They should be sufficient to split it change gears and go right back together with it. You should be able to do it in the boat. Make sure you have something down to catch oil. I had to pull mine because it was too close to the bottom of the boat to get the bottom bolts out, which turned out to be a good thing, becuase who ever set it up didn't do real well with it. Major clearance issue with the gears, spacers, and bearings.
    Billy

ColeTR1
    You can take the gears out in the boat. You have to take the two small covers off the front of the V-drive first. Then you need a tool to take the lower bearing out. Then split the case then gears will slide out. The hard part is getting bearing puller. I think SupperDave can help with puller.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...19Casale_2.jpg

INEEDAV
    I may have just been lucky, but with a little care to avoid damaging the faces on the case, I was able to get my bearing out with a little bit of force and two large screwdrivers.

Sangster
    You should get one of SD013's "Handy Dandy Bearing Pullers"... They are well worth the Money......

superdave013
    I'll let you know when the next batch is done. I've had a guy waiting for way to long on my slow ass.
    V Drive Tom might have some left.

superdave013
    Now that you got me going I'll share a tip.
    Put a trash bag (like a kitchen size) under the v drive from the front. Then set the trailer tongue on the ground as low as you can get it. That way when you split the cases you won't make a big mess with the gear oil.
    Don't mix up the bolts from the caps with the outter case bolts. That's a no brainer but it does happen. All 5/16" but the case bolts are fine threads.
    Don't forget the big long bolts in the middle of the case.
    Last but not least don't mix up the spacers.
    Have fun!

Coled Huffin
    What is the bearing puller device that people are talking about? I use screwdrivers and they work great until the tips break off them.

smalls
    SD, you have a pic of your puller?

superdave013
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ringpuller.jpg
    I'm out right now but I hear Beaverfab has some in stock.