Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Havasu to The Sandbar

Toomstone
    When you hit the mouth of the river, is it really that shallow where a boat could hit? or can you cruise right through there?

Kachina26
    Yes, if you don't know where you are going you can hit. Follow someone (at a distance), keep up on a plane and pray hard. I've bottomed out a 21 footer and ran a 26 deep v up in the winter with no problems. You just gotta be careful and know the area. I prefer the AZ side myself. Others like the CA side.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    When you hit the mouth of the river, is it really that shallow where a boat could hit? or can you cruise right through there?
    It depends on how deep it is.

twistedpair
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    It depends on how deep it is.
    Well thought out response there, Zen Master!

Scream
    The first several times I tried that transition after I bought my last new boat I'd get paranoid of the shallow sand and back off on the throttle. That's when I and my wife would get out and walk the distance between the lake and the deeper river.
    Like Kachina 26 says, keep up on plane and STAY TO THE SIDE. Follow the track of someone in a similar sized boat, and be confident and don't back off...

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by twistedpair
    Well thought out response there, Zen Master!
    I'm here to help.
    The bill is in the mail.

Toomstone
    will it be any easier now because the water level is almost normal compared to the past few weeks?

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Toomstone
    will it be any easier now because the water level is almost normal compared to the past few weeks?
    You should be OK. There's only a few months out of the year that it's questionable. Most boats only draw a couple feet of water (even idling)...at it rarely gets shallower than 3 feet.
    Having said that...I always follow someone the first time (something about seeing the bottom that makes me have flashbacks from all the times I've run aground)...

Kachina26
    It's really not bad now, you just pucker big time when you see all that brown. HH is right it's plenty deep, just follow someone. I had 6 boats behind me last weekend, I told my buddy "see all those boats back there? They think I know where I'm going!"

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Kachina26
    ...I had 6 boats behind me last weekend, I told my buddy "see all those boats back there? They think I know where I'm going!"
    or..."see that guy in front of us? If he digs in...we're going back to the channel."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast