Thread: Cat trim tabs?

Craig
    Anyone ever tried hydraulic trim tabs on the outer sponsons of a single engine cat? I used to have them over the tunnels and they worked great helping the boat roll on plane when running a big prop.
    But when I went with dual ram steering, they had to go because they were in the way. Went with a fixed tunnel tab. So my Advantage has never been a rocket out of the hole and last week running a 31 Hydromotive (1.36 gears) with three people, full tanks and coolers she struggled to get up. So I started thinking about fixes short of running a smaller prop or a 5-blade.
    I still have the complete Bennet set up in the garage, wiring even still run. Just don't want to drill holes if it wont help getting on plane. Then would I mount them to the ouside of the sponson, middle or in toward the tunnel????
    Craig

gmocnik
    i am using the dana marine sponson tabs on my 25 daytona...really helps rolling the boat on plane and has helped with the 60-70 mph porpoise...they were pretty spendy but they do the job...

Craig
    You have any pictures of them on your boat? They don't have any on Dana site

welk2party
    Keep us posted. I have wondered about tunnel tabs for my boat as well. Pretty expensive, so I would love to know before I spent the cash.

Craig
    Tunnel tabs aren't that expensive unless you want them hydraulic. Ones that I have over the tunnel were about $600.
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...f/P3143618.JPG
    I'd like a set on the outside. I have a flat surface to mount them. The sponsons look flat, but they're just notched, the angled portion is about 8" forward of the transom.

rude235
    Originally posted by gmocnik
    i am using the dana marine sponson tabs on my 25 daytona...really helps rolling the boat on plane and has helped with the 60-70 mph porpoise...they were pretty spendy but they do the job...
    i don't remember where i read the article, but it mentioned they work great for hole shots, and low speed cruising speeds for skiing/etc. the individual who wrote the article said they'd never own a tunnel without them. did it completely get rid of your porpoise in the 60-70mph range?? i've got the same problem.

Charley
    Craig...why are you thinking of putting them on the outer sponsons?? It would probably give you a longer running surface, but it seems like it would also act in the opposite way of an extension box(dirty water)... just my thoughts

Craig
    Originally posted by Charley
    Craig...why are you thinking of putting them on the outer sponsons?? It would probably give you a longer running surface, but it seems like it would also act in the opposite way of an extension box(dirty water)... just my thoughts
    There's no where else I could put them The area above the tunnels have my fixed tabs. There's not enough room to put adjustable ones there because of the location of the steering rams. I was thinking of putting them on the sponon in this area;
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/30tab.jpg