Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st trip to heatwave poker run??

COBRA230
    Well it looks like this is a night for firsts ??? first time on the board
    lots of good advise and info to be found. Now for the real question ....we are making a run to havasu on april 23rd,not realizing there was a poker run that weekend. It looks like all the big boats will be running and since this will be the first time were out there during this poker run. from what we heard it can be pretty rough out there......any suggestions... we are taking some friends and our daughter and we don't want to scare them off ....

RiverToysJas
    Welcome to the boards!!!
    The Poker Run day will not scare anyone, infact, you will be there on a special day. Not everyday that you can see boats running 140++.
    The water will get a little rough around the start, at Thompson Bay, but the majority of the lake will be fine. The further down you go, the better. There are plenty of protected coves, where you can have beach activities and wouldn't even know boat were racing by at high speed. Except you'll hear em'!!! You'll have a great time.
    RTJas

Tom Slick
    The lake does get pretty rough on the weekend, especialy poker run weekends. Depending on the type of boat you have will obviously depend on the smoothness of your ride. If you are looking to relax and have a good time and want to avoid the poker run and most of the rough stuff, I suggest that you launch and head north. The river is a short ride north of the island and is smooth boating all the way to Laughlin. You can find many beaches along the way that are great for kicking back, or you can visit the world famous "Sand Bar" if you want to mingle and check out the scene. If you want to see some of the sickest boats in the world, I suggest making your way to Thompson bay Saturday morning around 8:30. This is the milling area for the poker run. If you want to watch the poker run you can head south and watch. Please stay to the side of the lake and have a good time watching some 140-160mph boats race past. Have fun!!!

COBRA230
    Thanks for the reply RTJas !!
    Looking forward to a good time....(140+ )

COBRA230
    Like I mentioned before,Lots of good advise and info Here....
    Thanks For the suggestions Tom Slick,Sounds Like it going to be a blast !!!

C-2
    Shhhhhhh!
    The poker run is a secret.

Mr.Havasu
    Just sit in the channel and enjoy the show! You will see the most unbelieveable hardware all gathered in one place

Kachina26
    Originally posted by C-2
    Shhhhhhh!
    The poker run is a secret. Poker run? What poker run? The only poker run I know about is the week before.
    I was out for last years poker run weekend and figured it was a regatta. Not much worse than any other weekend out there, find a nice cove and chill. Then again I think the Fall heatwave is when I got beat up enough to decide on a bigger boat.

COBRA230
    Ok,I got it now......Don't say the "p" word...it's a secret right
    We sold our 21' cobra last year and purchased a 23' cobra (great boats) I Guess we will put it to the test ........

jackpunx
    If you have never participated in a poker run.. its a lot of fun.. This year Im just going to watch.. but last year was a blast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast