Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor exhaust

e-ticket
    I am having blower motor built for my 74 Howard )enclosed engine hatch. It has been suggested by builder to use Lightnings. I have existing transom holes already. Should I go the Lightnings or use something like the Imco Powerflow. Would the Imco be easier to match to my existing holes?

Infomaniac
    Go for the lightnings. They can build them to match holes you have now. Some measuring, pics and better yet sending them your old risers will ensure a good fit. You need as good exhaust as possible for a blower engine.

Craig
    I use IMCO Powerflows on my blown 509, 878 horse. If you go with the Lightning, make sure you get the all stainless ones.

Heatseeker
    Hey Craig, can you give me some info on your engine particulars? I'm in the middle of building a blown BBC and I'd like to see 878 horses too !

Infomaniac
    I'm curious about a 878 HP 509 myself.

MAXIMUS
    Well if looks are important then go with the lightings... They are very attractive! However if you want the best performance besides big tube headers then definitly go with imco power flows. They have different riser angles to help with existing holes. I'm using them on my blown 540 & they work good! They are very ugly though frown

e-ticket
    Thanks guys for the input! Been polishing the T-400 trans case.
    Craig,
    Why would I have to go the stainless Lightnings rather than the standard ones (other than looks)? I was thinking about powder coating them. Are you Imco's polished?
    Infomaniac,
    Are running Lightnings? My previous exhaust was the log type.
    Maximus,
    Are your Imcos polished? I think the Imco polished ones look great. I like the idea of mounting the manifold and then being able to pick the riser. Then the 4" stainles back to the exhaust tips. Was wondering why you thought yours were ugly.
    Exhaust tips are another story. Want a tip with internal flapper plus the external flapper and be able to put in muffler if necessary. Things are getting tough around here.
    Expecting to get at least 850 h.p. out of the 468 chevy, with 8-71, chevy alum. wishbone heads, ultradyne roller cam.

Infomaniac
    e ticket A tube header will out perform any manifold header. I think Lightning is better on the wallet as far as tube headers are concerned.
    Some guys get away with the manifold type but there is more power to be found with the tube headers on blower engines.
    If you do not have any exhaust now, you might as well go with Lightnings. If are running Gil or Imco before building the blower engine that is a different story.

e-ticket
    Infomaniac,
    Do you feel the Lightning stainless is an advantage other than looks? Are they going to get hot in the enclosed engine? Would powder coating them be a problem?
    My engine builder says Lighting also. Just looking into the pros and cons from people that run different types.

Infomaniac
    e-ticket Those non stainless lightning headers paint up real nice. JetBoat Brian is a champ at painting them.
    Here is a link to the step by step process if you want to do it yourself.
    One More How To - Compliments of HavasuBarney.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast