Thread: prop shaft identification

FlatUgly
    Anyone know how to tell what material my prop shaft is made of its 1" in diameter and appears to be stainless but im not sure and if so what kinda horsepower can this take, there doesnt seem to be any identifying numbers, or how bout just a recomondation of what to use thanxs Ryan

Kim Hanson
    Why don't you see if a magnet sticks to it, it should though......( . )( . ).....

FlatUgly
    the shaft is not magnetic!? but with further thinking into this issue given the unknown history of the boat I think i am gonna go ahead and order a new one with my prop its just not worth the possibility of failure Ryan

ColeTR1
    A good prop shaft cost $$$ mine is made from a steel called (I’m going to spell it the way is sounds K-ma-nell.) anyway look at spending about $800.00. Before you by a new one have yours checked out I took mine to Glenwood.

Kim Hanson
    It does on mine, so maybe some of the guru's can say something different! I don't understand that though, it should stick to steel and if it did, I would say ( I don't know ) what to say and the v-drive boys aren't saying shit! .........( . )( . ).....

Kim Hanson
    Sorry, I see one has.........( . )( . ).......

76BARRON
    k-monel ? aprox. 66% nickel 33% copper or so.
    Very good $tuff.
    If it ain't bent, why replace? unless there is a blower or big cubic inch's involved. But better safe than sorry.Sombody out there will know!

76BARRON
    I should also say that whats more important than what it's made of is the condition. such as being "true" (not bent) or the key way's
    and the bushing contact area's.If all that stuff is good then it will take lot's of Horse Power!

FlatUgly
    thanks for the help guys I talked with tom bently today and I think he's got what I need , and was very knowlegable as always something about spinning a sharp piece of stainless with 750hp on an unknown shaft just makes me crawl so we're gonna get a brand new one wow just like christmas thanx Ryan