Thread: re-ring set for a gen 5-6 BBC

victorfb
    im trying to find a re-ring set for a gen 5 or 6 BBC. all standard.
    Gasket set.
    rings.
    main bearings.
    rod bearings.
    oil pump.
    timing set.
    just freshening up a 91, 454 thats in the duelly. cant seem to find a "set" anywere. everyone wants to sell it all individually. theres got to be set somewere for a decent price. anyone have a source?
    thanks...

flat broke
    Vic,
    Sounds like a standard overhaul kit to me. Try PAW in Chatsworth. If they don't carry one, try California Discount Warehouse in Long Beach/Artesia. CDW does more SBC stuff, but they can put together a kit for a BBC. Sorry I don't have the numbers for either of them.
    Chris

Dennis Moore
    The ring package for these engines is metric with a special oil ring.
    They are very expensive through GM.
    The pistons used when assembling the GM 502 are sourced through JE Pistons (www.jepistons.com). These pistons are not the aftermarket 502 pistons sold by JE but are special pistons JE sells to GM only (the JE aftermarket 502 pistons use standard non-metric rings).
    When inquiring about the rings and replacement pistons some years ago I called JE Pistons and they insisted that the rings and pistons were not metric. I finally connected with someone at JE that was aware that the GM pistons were metric (the boys in the aftermarket division didn't know this). I recently talked to them (to order a set of rings) and they were a little more aware of this difference.
    The pistons have the same number stamped inside but use metric rings and have a different dome shape. The difference between GM/JE 502 pistons and the aftermarket/JE 502 pistons must be in the machining process.
    Order a set of metric rings from JE Pistons in Huntington Beach, California.
    Dennis Moore

flat broke
    Probably just the wrong response to the thread or something, but Vic is looking for rings for a 454, not a 502. definitely not the same dia. and I KNOW that GM wasn't using the JE piston in the 91 truck motors.
    Good info for the 502 crowd though.
    Chris

victorfb
    what flat broke said.
    but yea, thats great info on the 502 when i get ready to do that one. but for now its the 454. i tried PAW and they do not carry the gen 5/6 stuff. summit can make one but then we are adding more cost. i can do that but would rather find a "kit" as they are normally a bit less expensive. undercar said no go, as well as Team "C". so im thinking im going to have to build a kit myself sort of speak. if anyone comes up with something, please post it. ill need it shortly. thanks..

powerplay230
    Not sure if they have or not but have you tried JEG's or SDPC3000.com, or real longshot- Summit? Good luck

powerplay230
    OOPs sorry Scoggins' is sdpc2000.com

Nucking futs
    i just bought a gen vi gasket set and bearings for mine at national crankshaft in anaheim 714 634-3803 im going by their 2morrow or friday i can check for you or you can call and ask for cesar he knows all the bbc gen v & vi stuff they carry all the good stuff and what they dont have they can get.

victorfb
    thanks. ill give em a call tomorrow.