Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drake to Berkeley Conversion?

78Eliminator
    Any shop owners on the boards who would like to hook me up? Send me a PM. I just want some quotes to see how much and how long it would take.

flat broke
    I think this is more of a 2 shop deal Justin.
    First pull the drake, then have the hull re-glassed so there are no holes. Second, call your pump guy of choice to have him set your new berk intake and cut the hole for the bowl.
    To have a intake set runs around $400-500, and I couldn't begin to tell you how much it would cost to re-glass the hull. For that call Sal at Orange County boat repair in Stanton CA (714) 827-6247. Or for that matter, see how much John at Ultra would get to have one of his guys do the repair.
    Chris

HotHallet
    Justin I thought you sold your squirt boat?

78Eliminator
    HH, I did. I had three boats. I had a Eliminator Daytona, a Sanger Hydro and a Schiada jet. I sold the Eliminator. I still have the Schiada, but the drake is a little old and could use a rebuild. I was just wondering if I could do a swap, cause I want a berkeley and a call me crazy, I want to be able to shoot a huge rooster.
    So, I think I am just going to sell the Schiada. Probably cheaper to just find a boat that already has a berkeley......

flat broke
    That drake might have their trim system on it which would mean the capability for roosters. As far as the pump goes, Jack can freshen em up, Jim Brock has some old parts, and anything is possible in terms of a welder and mill for a new outlet nozzle. Maybe you would want to look at cleaning up the Drake as opposed to swapping it out.
    Have you had the boat in the water? Was it really bad out of the hole, or just not what you thought it should be? Since its just a play boat while you get the Sanger done, I can't see it being all that bad.
    Either way, good luck with it and keep us posted. God knows we all love to hear about projects around here
    Chris

78Eliminator
    Maybe you're right. I would REALLY like to have a boat his season....

Blown 472
    Then put it together and drive it, sit at home with it apart, or kicking rd in the junk at the sandbar??

78Eliminator
    I want to kick RD in the junk at the sandbar, real bad. Don't think I won't RD. I have before to two of my friends. Yes, they handed my ass back to me right after, but it was worth it (I kicked both my friends in the junk, right in a row).

78Eliminator
    Thanks Chris, I wish I wasn't so wishy washy on this thing. I have just been so brain washed with "Drakes are bad". I suppose I can rig up the trim control. It was rigged up to a little box that had an old chevy power window motor in it. I think I am just going to look and see if I can retrofit a place diverter manual control for it. Ross, at Designer Interiors told me about a guy next door that can do a Drake, so when it's gettin it's interior, I will have him take a look too. IF he can get it done in a week, I will let him have at it. Also, the nozzle is VERY loose in there. I can take it and wiggle it in it's housing like 1/2" all the way around. Not a good thing. BUT I AM DOING CBBB NO MATTER WHAT THIS YEAR!
    Anyway, I know RD will help me rig up the trim control, his dad is a telivision repair man, and has this "ultimate" set of tools.
    Originally posted by flat broke
    That drake might have their trim system on it which would mean the capability for roosters. As far as the pump goes, Jack can freshen em up, Jim Brock has some old parts, and anything is possible in terms of a welder and mill for a new outlet nozzle. Maybe you would want to look at cleaning up the Drake as opposed to swapping it out.
    Have you had the boat in the water? Was it really bad out of the hole, or just not what you thought it should be? Since its just a play boat while you get the Sanger done, I can't see it being all that bad.
    Either way, good luck with it and keep us posted. God knows we all love to hear about projects around here
    Chris

flat broke
    Justin,
    If I remember right (haven't seen pics of your ride since we were thinking of picking it up for a project for my dad) the trim is actuated off a cable running under the pump. If its a push/pull system, a place deal will work. An alternative would be to go hydrualic if you could mount a bimba cylinder between the moving part and the pump.
    From what I remember of my discussion with Jack about the pump, the only tricky part was a neoprene seal for the bearing I think. I guess they aren't made anymore so if you ruin it, it could put a damper on things. Jack has done one or two of them, but basically the company went under before they could catch on. Not a totally different design like a panther, just different spin on a Berk.
    Your boat is cool, and with a little TLC and a shiny new interior, I'm sure it would be even better. It's not known for being a particularly fast hull, but its a Schiada, so it should take a beating and last. I'll look forward to seeing it at the CBBB and on the river before then. Ty and I are all scheduled or our repsective dyno dates before the freeboard dealio, so hopefully we'll see you and the Schiada there.
    If you decide the Drake isn't for you, you better hurry up with your decision. The V-drive counterpart for your ride is on the auction block as we speak. 74 Schiada 19 v-drive (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2469014483)
    If I wasn't so close to the end of my engine build (translation - had more $$) I'd snatch that deal up in a heartbeat.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast