Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever loose it at 60?

Boozer
    The boat trailer that is.
    Its April fools and I guess I'm the fool.
    Had the boat in the shop for some warranty work and went to pick it up this morning. Driving home from the dealership soin about 60 and hit a small bump in the highway. Bump was just big enough to know the trailer off the hitch and sent the boat into other lanes of traffic and send my truck out of control. Hit a divider wall with my tuck and the boat did some pretty good damge to the rear end. All in all I'd say about 2-3k in damage to the truck. Fender on the trailer is busted along with the wench stand, chains are ground down to practically nothing and the passenger side rim is bent.
    Shut down 2 lines of traffic for about 15 minutes on our biggest highway here.
    The culprit? I allowed one of the service guys to hook my boat up to the truck. When he did he didnt latch it down. Went back to the dealer where they were more then happy to offer me a new prop for $50 since they seen mine wasnt on the boat and offered to straight the boat out because the bunck was turned completely sideways making the boat sit on the trailer wrong. Fortunately the service manager felt like shit for what happened and agreed to have the wench stand fixed and he said hed expense it out the service department. He also told me the GM is a dick that doesnt want to take responsibilty for anything that ever happens regardless of whos fault it is and told me to get an attorney.
    The GM's excuse was that it was my responsibilty as the owner to go back and check that the trailer was latched on. If that is the case why dont they just make customers hook up their own boats in the first place?
    Dont really know what to do at this point but my boats back at the dealer waiting for a new wench stand and i am furious.

Boozer
    Oh.. For those of you who have messaged me and left me voicemails about the cell phone deal I'll be calling you tomorrow and talking to you about it. Was going to do it today but this ordeal prohibited me from doing anything. Sorry about the delay but I will contact you tomorrow.

Mandelon
    Always double check....and then check again.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck there. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    But loooking on the bright side, at least it was only a Bayliner....

Boozer
    Originally posted by Mandelon
    Always double check....and then check again.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck there. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    But loooking on the bright side, at least it was only a Bayliner....
    The Bayliner is fine, trailers jacked up but my DODGE is thrashed.

RiverToysJas
    That really sucks! It's my fear!!!
    When I picked up my boat from service last time, the guy hooked it up for me, and said I was good to go. I said thanks, then went and double checked everything. He was a bit offended, but I told him it wasn't personal. I was leaving from there on a 255mile river trip though.
    Sorry again,
    RTJas

Debbolas
    Oh my god! how awfull....
    I don't know if we mentioned this before or not, but we lost our 19ft SeaRay on our first trip out to Lake Powell. The dodgew/camper hitch dragged on our hilly driveway so we got another hitch from Uhaul (with a plastic nut)((BAD IDEA))
    We are driving through Vegas at night, kids asleep in the camper, I'm sitting with a beer in the back...Scream is driving....suddenly we hit a couple dips in the freeway (construction, metal plates) The trailer lifts off the hitch, plastic nut breaks, and starts dragging on the freeway, sending white hot sparks up onto our NEW BOAT!
    I am standing in the camper SCREAMMING for Scream to stop and I think he is ignoring me......He slowly slows down and lets the trailer bump the camper twice, finally we stop......(he is still mad that I was screaming at him, I didn't know he had to slowly stop the truck or the trailer would just come right into the camper)
    White hot metal, the ball just falls off. Everyone stops.....
    After awhile we get some cops to help us lift the trailer up onto the extra hitch we always carry. And we are ready to leave the homeless men in the ditch by the freeway. One of the hardest things I have ever done in my life was to climb back in that camper. Did not want to!
    Never use a plastic nut.

DEEZ NUTTS
    Had my 31' Formula come loose from the hitch at the end of my street just a few weeks ago. Luckily going slow and no damage to truck or trailer. I triple double check everything now. Even had to stop twice on the interstate on the way to the lake to ease my mind. New procedure includes floor jack under the tongue and taking the truck up with it a little way just to be shure.

Tinkerer
    Two years ago--
    My trailer doesn't have any v block mounted to the wench.
    It just has straps to stop it from going too far forward.
    Well I pulled it too far forward on the trailer to hook up the front strap so I backed it down the ramp to get it to move back on the trailer.
    Well it didn't want to move so I jerked it a little and heard a strange noise.
    Went back to look at it and found that the hitch had broken and was hanging down at a steep angle and was barely hanging on.
    I put the jack down within 2 inches of the ground and SLOWLY pulled the rig up the ramp.
    I managed to get it onto level ground before it broke.
    Now I plan on buying a new hitch every few years.
    It is 45 miles back home and I pull the boat at 70.
    It never would have made it homo.

HCS
    Boozer, sorry about your ordeal. That really sucks. I caught you
    today right after it happened and really felt bad for you.
    I guess you need to turn it into insurance and possibly take your
    case to small claims court.
    I know I would have been totally pissed as I'm sure you were.
    Good luck in getting things fixed up.
    Never trust anyone I guess.
    Tom

i did'nt loose it at 60, but a year or so ago, i lost cyclones boat at greenriver road and the 91 eastbound, i was about 40 and she popped off the ball and luckily i caught it in the lic. plate,...not as easy as it may have sounded,....i used up about 4 lanes before i came to a stop! when i got back in my truck after a little adjustment to the tongue,...i was on kfrg as well as one of the TV stations!(a buddy called to let me know) talk about luck! and had minimal repaires, but that was before i re-geled his boat so i was'nt too worried,...but you should have heard the conversation between us!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast