Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost referenced fuel pressure regulator

Maxey
    Question to blower motor experts,
    I have purchased an Aero-Equip fuel pressure regulator (carbureted engine). It will be connected to a manifold pressure fitting. It is designed to boost the fuel pressire on a 1:1 ration as the boost comes on. The instructions say to run the return line to the tank. I have two fuel tanks. What will happen if I run the return line "into" the line that feeds the fuel pump? I will speak with them tomorrow.
    Thanks for your input!
    Maxey

Maxey
    "Ratio"!!!!
    Sorry!
    Maxey

Infomaniac
    It depends on what type of fuel pump.
    If you want to return to the pump inlet make it as far away as possible from the pump.
    They will probably recommend against it. It is easier on the pump to return to the air space of the tank. I return to the pump inlet all the time.
    If possible mount this bypass after the carbs.

Blown 472
    Is there a chance the pump could draw fuel from the bypass rather than the tank?? I thought of doing the same thing on my car but thought it would draw from there rather than the tank.

Infomaniac
    If the bypass has an idle jet, it sometimes can do that.
    If you think about it. The bypass only needs to crack open slightly to drop fuel pressure down to where you have it set. There is not a lot of volume there.

Blown 472
    Thanks info.

Maxey
    Infomaniac:
    It depends on what type of fuel pump.
    If you want to return to the pump inlet make it as far away as possible from the pump.
    They will probably recommend against it. It is easier on the pump to return to the air space of the tank. I return to the pump inlet all the time.
    If possible mount this bypass after the carbs.

Maxey
    Please excuse my lack of posting ability.(quote w/o comments) Thanks for the replies. I spoke with Aeromotive this morning. The
    tech line was very helpful, and went into some detail regarding their reccomendations. Yes Info, they did not reccomend sending the return line to the pump. I had planned on sending it to the fuel filter/water separator. His comment was that that is sometimes done, but he would not reccomend it. The reasoning being that it might cause the pump to cavitate. I have decided to run a Aeromotive "static" type non-return regulator and see how it works out.
    Cheers,
    Maxey

Unchained
    Maxey, I would recommend going with the bypass regulator rather than the deadhead type. The deadhead type requires the pump to run at maximum pressure all the time which makes the pump run hotter. As Ron said I have also run the return line back to the inlet line but I returned it at the T where the two lines from the tanks come together. After the return line I had a high flow filter and then the fuel pump. In my opinion I can't see how there could be any cavitation after the fuel went through the filter.
    Mark

Blown 472
    I have the moroso bypass fuel log on my blown motor in my car, seems to work pretty good as I have had no problems with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast