Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should voting be mandatory?

crownline79
    I am doing a paper in my gov class and I need some public opinion. Do you think voting should be mandatory? Why or why not? Don't hold back.

twistedpair
    No way. If you don't care enough to vote, then don't. The worst vote is the uninformed vote.

RiverToysJas
    I have often thought of starting a website call "don't just vote". MTV has ruined more than Havasu. I blame Rock the Vote for Clinton.
    Please don't just vote because it's cool. Vote because you've read and understand the issues! Vote because you understand what you're doing and who you're appointing to give your views in Washington! Remember these people make the laws you must live by.
    So to answer your question, NO.
    RTJas

riverbound
    No... Because a lot of people do not know enough to make the right decision. If it becomes mandatory some people will just pick someone because it was the first name on the list or because they liked the name or some othe reason.The decision will not be based on the political platform. Let the people that are knowledgeable make the choices, or go out become knowledgable about what is being voted on.

v-drive
    Wow, being as old as I am it is a natural thing. If it was mandatory you could possibly have some idiots voting that didn't know or didn't care. I think the way it is now is better because at least you know that the people who are voting are informed and they do care. I could also be full of shit. v-drive

MudPumper
    I agree whith what was posted above. Don't vote unless you can vote in an educated manor.

crownline79
    Do you know in Austrialia you are fined if you don't vote. Do you

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by crownline79
    Do you know in Austrialia you are fined if you don't vote. Do you think it would force people to be more aware of politicial issues?
    No people would bitch, moan, complain, and find loop holes. AND/OR They would (as I would) view it as something the government is forcing them to do. This would breed resentment.
    Won't happen anyway, not w/o a vote, and it wouldn't pass IMO.
    RTJas

ratso
    I look at voting kind of like I look at jury duty...I'd find some way to get out of it.

twistedpair
    Originally posted by ratso
    I look at voting kind of like I look at jury duty...I'd find some way to get out of it.
    Well I hope you never bitch about who's running the government, cuz if you don't vote, we don't care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast