Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary Day in the Classroom Today!

TheEduKATor
    In five years of teaching today had to be the biggest scare.
    One of my students asked if she could use the restroom so I told her to go ahead. Ten seconds later a male student yells for me and says something is wrong with her. I was at my desk helping a student and looked up to see her near the door wobbling holding her head. I ran over to her and caught her as she was falling down and lost consciousness. Her eyes rolled back and she looked lifeless. She wasn't responding to any of my calls so I began to worry.
    The students were great though, I quickly and calmly asked a student to go get the nurse and he immediately bolted for her. I asked another student to call the main office and tell them to call 911, while a few students helped me stabilize her and cool her body temp down because she started to burn up and going into little episodes of seizures. What seemed like forever was only about 3-5 minutes until the nurses got their.
    The rest of the students stood back to give her air and all were praying that she would be alright. I'm never supposed to leave the room unattended but I told the kids to please stay in the class while I rushed over with the student, the nurse and personnel so they could take her to the hospital. I was gone maybe 10 minutes tops and when I got back to the class, they were all huddled holding hands and praying with the lights off.
    I assured them she was going to be fine because I was assured by the nurses and medical personnel that she was going to be fine. She had regained consciousness as they were ready to take her away. She was able to remember her name, the day, and the events of the episode. She said thank you to me because all she could remember was hearing my voice telling her to hang in there, you're gonna be okay and how I didn't sound panicked. I'm not going to lie, I was scared off my ass, but I had to stay calm for the kids and do what they train us to do in these situations. It was a very powerful site seeing how quickly and bravely these students responded, I told her not to thank me, she has 40 of her classmates to thank when she gets back and is healthy. Parents, give your children a little extra hug and kiss when they leave the house for school or any reason. Sorry for the long post

summerlove
    and just to think, there was a time you wanted to quit! Imagine - what if you weren't there to handle the situation as calmly as you did - you made the right decision, not only today, but with your vocation as well.
    Congratulations, and hopefully the young lady will be fine.

CEO
    Great Job, Edu.. My daughter has had 2 of those damn seizers. I carried her into the hospital, limp and basically well.. gone.
    I understand exactly how you felt. They helicoptered her over to Loma Linda for 13 days. Thank God she is fine and is 7 years older now. The Doctors said she would outgrow these things. But when we go to the River we make sure she drinks water and more water and more. How old was the student?? My daughter was 5 when she had her first
    CEO

redneckgirl
    That is a sad but awesome story... do you teach at a public or christian school? What grade do you teach high or jr high? I hope our children can have a cool/hard working teacher like yourself... So far our children have had good teachers...1st & 4th grade...
    RNG

TheEduKATor
    She is 16 and her parents said this has never happen to her. I called her parents a few hours ago to follow up and they were waiting on the results from blood work. They said she has been stabilized. That was the scarist part, holding a body that was completely limp and felt so lifeless. We go through training during the summer but you just don't think you will ever have to use.

TheEduKATor
    I teach at a public high school, Ms. EduKATor is a public elementary school teacher, currently teaching 5th grade.

CEO
    "lifeless" is a perfect way to discribe it. Once again Props to you for thinking fast on your feet

RobR.
    My wife teaches 4th grade and they had it happen twice last year.
    The paramedics told her to make sure to hold the kid's head because during the seizures they will bang their head against the ground and it could cause more damage than the seizure.

TheEduKATor
    summerlove
    Your right staying was the best move. It wasn't the kids that made me think about leaving the profession. I love them little rug rats, it was mainly because of the Adminstration or lack there of. I'm able to do a little business on the side with my brother and stay in the classroom, so it's all worked out.

redneckgirl
    Great job!!! Public HS must be hard to do... Thank you for your and your wifes dedication to our children... I know you don't teach our children... but I take off work every week to volunteer in our kids classes and teaching is not a easy job... no matter what people say about our educational system it is only good if the parent help reinforce what the teacher are trying to teach them...
    RNG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast