Thread: venting the engine compartment

steve@kps
    thanks for any help.
    I am installing a blower in the engine compartment to ventilate it. should the outlet tube be secured to one of the four rear vent holes? the holes are 2 on each side, right next to each other. One grab handle mounted on the outside. Or just be tied to the transom pointing towards the holes.
    There are no other vent holes available on this "cat" .

HOSS
    Coast Guard regulation has the tube connected to a vent. Make sure its an outflowing vent. They are mounted directional.

steve@kps
    this boat is an HTM, the two holes are at the back of the boat. On the outside of the holes are a grab handle w/ plate with slots. Is this okay?

Infomaniac
    Steve - We were at the lake until 10:30 could not return your call.
    We have vented grab handles on the Ultra. The grab handles go across the 2 holes on each side.
    Also Benrock sells rectangular grills that are directional for the sides of the engine compartment toward the rear of the boat. They are the same just flip them around. One direction scoops air in and the other way draws air out. They help keep air circulating and hot air out.
    Our Seebold had air space on each side of the rear seat from the arm rests down. Not noticeable and put a lot of air in the engine compartment.

Infomaniac
    Our blower is connected to the vent of 1 grab handle.

steve@kps
    darn it. i lost that beer bet. I just knew for sure it could not be attached there. I thought it had to have it's own vent hole.
    that's cool though, now i won't have to drill another hole..lol
    info, what lake did you go too? how's the wyatt's boat?

Infomaniac
    We go to Ft. Gibson "the island" in the Ultra on the Weekends. Going again here shortly.
    Go to Keystone on thurs evenings 5:30 every Thurs. Put in at Appalacia and go to those sandy beaches around the corner. Take the fast boat (Cougar) on Thurs.
    The Wyatt boat is good. Pegged the 120 MPG GPS speedo, "Well Done" just cruises around most of the time. Trying to preserve the drive this summer.
    Come on out !!
    [ June 22, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

steve@kps
    we are planning on being there this Thursday. Couldn't go yesterday. Still working on the interior and finishing/redoing the cooling system. We had to mfg. a cross over pop off "T" infront of the crossover to allow us to use a thermostat and not load up the waterpump. Got that done. After the interior is replacing the teleflex gauges w/ gafrigs and bezels. And instal some 12in. subwoofers.. any thoughts?
    p.s. when we come out, there. please take a look at the blower. we are now thinking this is a 174 blower not a 250. How do you tell?

Infomaniac
    The 250 has a replacable top. Can change from single to dual carb. The 174 you cannot as far as I can remember. The 250 uses the megablower intake also.
    I use a teel relief valve on cooling systems generally. Get them at Grainger for just over 10.00 3/4 pipe threads. Have to change the spring but no problem.
    269-8084 cell if you want to talk. Going to get the boat.
    I remember seeing a pic of your engine. It looked like a 250
    [ June 22, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]