Thread: sand

hellbound
    when in the process of changing a leaking freeze plug i noticed alot of sand built up in my waterjackets.should i bother cleaning out the other side or will it just fill up again soon. plus im changing to headers with a basset T valve is the sand going to stick that open?

HammerDown
    Hack yea, try to back flush that sand out any way you can! Go through the thermostat opening with a garden hose etc.
    Use a filter before the water enters the block and you wont have those issues again. And yes small debris can stick the Bassett check ball open, and prior to using a filter on mine it did. A block with Sand in it can also have hot spots!
    If you don't run some type of screened inline water filter avoid driving into beaches and never use reverse in shallow water.
    I been filtering the water before my engine and headers for years now...never any sand etc in either one.

hellbound
    thanks,Hammerdown there was about an inch sitting in the bottom of the water jacket its easly available through the freeze plugs ill do the other side while im there . you got a name, part # for that filter system you have for yours?

HammerDown
    Sorry, but out here the Boats still winterized. But I got it at West Marine, made by Perco I belive. It has a screen in it that will stop a piece of sand and a clear top I can unscrew to clean when needed. I installed it where I could access it easly if needed and it is at water level so I can remove the top and not flod the boat.
    One time I ran over a long Sand Bar...I was only in a few inches of water...the filter was solid with Sand that would have went in the Block and Headers. ASAP I shut down and cleaned the filter...and off I went to have a great day of Boating.

fullwood
    lots of places have a thing called a "sand trap if running in sand is not avoidable. check with kodiak marine they have one that i have seen work!!