Thread: new floor

Sleek26
    I almost hesitate to ask this as it sounds a bit out there but, after replacing a soft floor have any of you ever used spray in bedliner to seal it up real well, not wanting to ever have to do it again?? Not a 1/4" thick like in a truck bed but, just enough to seal it well??

flat broke
    A couple layers of mat and cloth with resin is what we typically use for that job. Seriously though, laminating a little glass will go a little ways to not only seal it up, but also ad some rigidity. Plus unless you're replacing the floor in a 30' deckboat, the glass will be cheaper than the rhino liner.
    Good Luck and make sure you use Marine grade ply for your job.
    Chris

BGMAN203
    Use glass, that way you will be able to see if your having problems again. The rhino deal is not transparent, if its cracking under there you will never know until its too late.

Sleek26
    Originally posted by BGMAN203
    Use glass, that way you will be able to see if your having problems again. The rhino deal is not transparent, if its cracking under there you will never know until its too late.
    Actually I was thinking of using it in addition to, not instead of, glass. I was thinking since you can get colors it might be a cool way to go but, the transparency deal hadn't even crossed my mind so I'm glad you mentioned it. Thanks

Slick
    If you want to completely waterproof it from the top, you could gelcoat it. That's what Barney did with mine. The one thing that alot of people don't understand is that floors don't rot from the outside in, but from the inside out. Make sure when you tab to the hull it's clean with no voids.
    Another thing I did was install two screw in deck plates in the engine compartment. That way, every time I cover the boat, I pull the plates off to air out the area between the stringers and the hull.
    Most Mfrs. will use a 4" hole saw to install the motor mounts, screw in a couple wood tabs and then put the core back in and cover with carpet. Basically the same way you'd repair a hole in drywall. Unfortunately for the boat owner, they have no idea there may be water on the other side of those stringers eating away at the floor of their new ride.
    Here you go:
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...talled-med.jpg