Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220/240 Electric outlet

Cole Sanger
    What should I expect to pay in the Phoenix area for an electrician to install a single 220 or 240 outlet in my garage? The electical panel is about 2 feet from where I want the outlet. Anyone have a person they can recommend? I just bought a tig/mic/arc welder from a welding shop. They said it could run on whatever I wanted from 220 on up to 408. I am not looking to use it for a business, just to play with.

al cole'holic
    ..my suggestion to you is doing it yourself...no, seriously
    Is there an existing outlet that you want to convert or is it adding a new outlet??

Cole Sanger
    I am an electronics technician in the semiconductor industry. I don't do electrical panels. It would be a new outlet. I was thinking of having them put in a 4 panel 120 outlet while they were there. I have a 3 car garage with one outlet (not including the outlets for the garage door openers). Sucks.

Scream
    IMO, I'm in So Cal and I'd probably expect to pay $30 to $40 per hour time and materials. You could go to Home Depot or Lowes or whatever and get the breaker (make sure you know which brand) the wire, conduit, outlet, box and cover yourself to make sure you're not gettin hosed. Get the electrician to give you a list of what's necessary and go buy it. And don't let him (her, sorry chicks) clean the garage for 30 or 40 bux/hour. The job done right, taking your time, should be about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Jordy
    Originally posted by Cole Sanger
    I am an electronics technician in the semiconductor industry. I don't do electrical panels. It would be a new outlet. I was thinking of having them put in a 4 panel 120 outlet while they were there. I have a 3 car garage with one outlet (not including the outlets for the garage door openers). Sucks.
    How far from the main panel are you? It's easy enough to do, unless you have to fish through walls and all that fun stuff (sorry, don't do that). I do wire stuff up on a regular basis. Trust me.

roln 20s
    A buddy of mine just wired a 220 for my spa-- left him a message and hopefully he'll get back to me tonight and I'll see if he will help you out. I don't know crap about that stuff, except that a 220 shock won't feel good.
    Roln 20s

Cole Sanger
    I only have to go from the outside where the panel is, down the wall about a foot and over about a foot. As close as possible to the panel, only inside my garage.

ROZ
    piece of cake. Jordy can help, no problem....
    Where in Gilbert are you? I have family off Elliot and Stapley...

bordsmnj
    what i would do is have the welder there. that way he can see if it has a plug on it already or if it comes with them. also he'll wanna know what the nameplate fla(full load current) is so he can get the right size breaker. also the plug configuration will differ with amperage- 30A plug isn't compatable with 50A,etc. home depot guy's seldom now what they are talking about when you go buy anything beyond a light bulb.your better off letting the guy make the extra hour for going to get the stuff him self. as long as there's a reciept-you should be safe. your taliing about a hundred bucks (with additional recepticles) in material give or take.probvably just over. the most expensive part will be the cord cap and recepticle for the welder and maybe the breaker depnding on what make panel you have. good luck

Cole Sanger
    I am off Cooper (Stapley) and Warner in Gilbert. I have the welder here. It is old, on wheels, and weighs about 300+ pounds. It will tig weld from 7-300 amps. I bought it for $200. I just need to get all the attachments and the guy at the welding shop said he would come over and show me how to weld. Can't pass up a deal like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast