Thread: Water coming through my steering cable help

ryantparks
    The water somehow comes through the steering cable all the way up to under the instrument gauges and constantly leaks only when the boat is moving. It is a constant drip that gets all over one of the speakers mounted near my cup holder. Anyone had this problem or know the solution. The only thing I could possibly think is some sort of bad o-ring or seal near the pump that lets water gets through when there is alot of pressure? Thanks, Ryan

MudPumper
    That's odd!! What kind of set up do you have??

flat broke
    You don't happen to have a speedometer in the boat? Most any pump I've seen has the steering above the waterline while the boat is moving, so the water shouldn't be coming from there. Is it possible you have a water pressure gauge, or a speedometer tube that is leaking down onto the steering cable under the dash so it looks like the cable is letting the water in? Otherwise, I just cant visualize water running all the way up the steering cable.
    Another thing to check woudl be to open your rotarty helm or rack and see if there is rust on the internals. If water truly is coming up the cable, not everything in there is stainless and you would probably see some other signs of moisture.
    Chris

wet77
    I second what Flat broke says, Sure its not your speedo leakin?

1HOTGMCJET
    I third it with flat broke - a pitot type speedo system works on pressure generated from a SEALED loop - if there's a leak anywhere, it's no different than having a water pickup that lets the pressurized water come through, pumping it straight into the boat - look at the area right at the speedo first, it may have split right in the area where the hose connects to the nipple on the speedo - also, zip ties around the hoses (at the connection points) are cheap insurance for this type of leak - Good Luck!

MudPumper
    This seems like the most likely cause. My speedo tube is zip tied to my stearing cable from Transom to helm. One time the pitot tube came off my speedo while running wide open spraying water all over my legs. I thought I ripped a hole in the bottom of my boat and just about shit my drawers. Took a few seconds to calm down and figured out what the problem was. Now it's zip tied to the speedo.

ryantparks
    Ok so bare w/me, yes I do have a speedo but does it carry water in it to the gauge? If so then I would also think that it would be that! I do think that the steering cable isnt exposed in the water while the boat is moving so you are probably right when you say that it shouldnt get water in it.
    So is there water in the speedo cable or does it have a bad seal?
    Thanks for all the info guys!

flat broke
    There be water in most of those speedo tubes So look there. A lot of the less expensive speedos use a single wall vinyl tube which could easily spring a leak, flex etc. On the Nordskog speedo in my Spectra they ran large 3/8" reinforced hose. THe thing reads super stable and is within 1mph of the GPS up to about 60.
    Check your tubing between the pickup and the speedo. You could have a leak anywhere along there. Odds are the fitting at the speedo is just loose.
    Good luck,
    Chris

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    JUST MY $.02, EVEN IF THE STEERING CABLE ISN'T THE PROBLEM, GREASE THE DOGGY OUT OF BOTH ENDS ANYWAY. A GOOD QUALITY MARINE GREASE IS ALWAYS YOUR BEST FRIEND!...BILL.

1HOTGMCJET
    Originally posted by ryantparks
    Ok so bare w/me, yes I do have a speedo but does it carry water in it to the gauge?
    Welll...it doesn't actually carry water all the way up to the speedo (or SHOULDN'T - in your case that may be happening as a result of a leak), the water being forced into the tube creates a pressurized "air bubble" that causes the speedo needle to move upward on its scale, picture a soda straw, plug one end with your finger, add a few drops of water, then blow into the straw and point it upward as you do - the water will either suspend or come back to your mouth - now unplug the other end, and the water travels out of the straw because it can - same deal here - if there's a leak, the pressurized water CAN travel up the tube to your dash, even though it's not supposed to - result? Water coming out into the dash area.
    So is there water in the speedo cable or does it have a bad seal?
    Thanks for all the info guys! [/B]
    See the above, there isn't actually a speedo "cable" like in your car, your speedo works on air pressure supplied via a hose - Hope this was helpful!