Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leaky jet

dtr352
    I just bought my first jet boat two weeks ago. I have been boating with my family for years but this is my first boat. It is a 19 ft. southwind 1977 with a 468 ci. chevy and a berkely jet. I'm not sure what model the pump is or how to check but it has a place diverter. Anyway my question is this. Why does my boat leak? The faster I go the more water seams to get in. You don't notice until you let off the gass and all the water rushes forward. Although it is not a enough water to sink the boat it is still a good amount. This can't be normal can it. I get water from the headers so I know the motor is getting water but where is the leak. Any help would be greatly apreciated (be specific). Thanks

Danhercules
    Your pump will leak. Its suppost to. The thing is, its suppost to drip. Its by the packing on the shaft.
    Now on my boat, the header lines were leaking, so I got a lot of water in. Not as much as you at talkin about.
    Things ot check. The Transum adaper, the part of the pump that touches the boat, you will see a bunch of screws, make sure thay are tight. There is a nut on the other side.
    IF you cannot find anything wrong, fill up the boat with water and see if you can see it dripping out in the driveway.
    Hope this helps

Danhercules
    by they way, Check out www.southwindjetboats.com

HammerDown
    It can be coming from several places, packing rings, water feed hose to engine or headers, transome seal etc.
    BUT what you can do is with the boat on the trailer, install the drain plug and with a garden hose put several inches of water in the bilge...look under the hull and see where it may be leaking out. It could very well be the epoxy around the suction housing.

1Bahnerjet
    Yeah mine leaks around the Intake Housing
    nothing that the Bilge pump can't handle.
    Its a Major undertaking to re- set the Intake to Hull, Motor-Pump would have to come out just to have room to work. and even though the Intake leaks it would still be stuck good to the Hull.
    I did the Fill the Boat with Water to find my Leak, it Works.

cruser
    Just in case, I must state the obvious here. Do not fill the boat with water. A few inches will do, enough to cover the jet intake but not enough to cover the suction piece. A boat FULL of water is an overloaded/distorted boat/trailer.
    cruzer

1Bahnerjet
    oh sorry. when I said "fill the Boat" I really only put a few inches of Water, with the boat bow up so all water was in Engine Compartment. dtr352,
    Good Luck with your Leak.

quiet riot
    If the faster you go, the more water runs in there is a good chance your cooling water is leaking some where because the faster the motor is spinning the more water is being pushed thru the cooling system (drain plugs on motor, hoses, etc..) If you can have someone drive the boat at a reasonable speed and be back aroung the motor to observe for leaks, you can usually spot 'em.
    I'd try the stuff recommended above also.
    jd

Old Guy
    You should not keep running your leaky boat unless you are sure what's going to happen. The previous owner of this boat didn't know where the water was coming in but it didn't seem like a big deal. The more the water came in the boat, the faster it came in. When it sank, all the seat cushions floated away. This is the way I found it.
    http://files.triton.net/old1/sleek1b.jpg
    I bought it for $500 including the trailer. A lot of time and money later.....it floats.
    http://files.triton.net/old1/sleek.jpg
    The original problem was an exhaust hose clamp not properly installed.

Sleek26
    Check freeze plugs too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast