Thread: Lift the boat?

How man guys you guys think i'll need to lift a 18' AnthonyBT off the trailer and onto some type of holding device. The boat wont have seats, motor, or half the pump in it.
    Check out my project link in my sig for pics if that helps at all (doubt it will).

Lecktrix
    Believe it or not, we used the rafters in the garage to hoist up my buddys eliminator hull so he could get his trailer done. Get three sets of good straps, and do it like the boat yards do. Then we let the boat down on some old tires until the trailer was done. If I can find the photos, ill upload them later.

Ken F
    I pulled mine in the back yard, and tied chains in the forks of two trees, with a strap under the bow. Jacked up the transom, set it on blocks and then lifted the bow with a come-along between the strap and one of the chains.
    Ken F

tahitijet
    I've moved mine around a few times in the last few weeks. it's taken 6 large guys to move it when it's upside down and 8-9 right side up. My boat is a very heavy tahiti rougly around 900-1000lbs.
    It takes a few extra guys when it's right side up cause you can't use the deck as a hand hold in the front like you can when it's upside down.

i was actually wondering if 2 engine hoists would be able to do it, one in the front and one in the back.... but i'm wondering if the weight will cause them to buckle inword.
    Legend:
    | is the Hoist
    ===> is the Boat
    Before... | ===> |
    After .... / ===> \
    i did have the thought abotu using the garage rafters to hold the boat up but i dont think i want to put that kid of stress on them.
    Another though i had was to push the boat off the trailer enought to get a jack up under and then lift just the front and slowly pull the trailer out.
    My last thogh was to just tight the boat to a tree, put abunch of tires down, power break, and let loose and just let rip it off the trailer
    Na seriously though, it's probably best if i find 10 or so guys i'm gathering.

i would think that if you had 6 guys there and dragged it off of the back of the trailer on top of some tires,...you would not have a prob. but dont set it down anywhere in the span between the front and rear! or you might have a few more rep.s that you may have anticipated!
    when i first pulled a boat off of a trailer i built a dolly out of 2x4's and casters from Harbor Freight and built it to meet the rear of the bunks, chalked the dolly and pushed like a mule!
    good luck!

CrdStang
    My old man and I got my bare 18' Marlin hull off the trailer as follows:
    The back was light enough for 1 guy to lift while the other stuck some wood blocks under it to hold it off the trailer.
    We used a jack on the front because it wasn't as easy to get ahold of.
    Blocked it in 3 places, removing/replacing the middle then the forward blocks as the trailer was pulled out. Obviously you want to make sure the middle blocks are far enough forward that the boat doesn't tip forward when you remove the front blocks. We put some long pieces of lumber fore-aft on top of the blocks to support the hull.
    Unfortunately Dad is on vacation for a month so I'm going to have to figure out how to get it back on the trailer alone..

Beal Motorsports
    We built a small wooden dolly about the same height as the boat trailer with carpeted runners and put swivel casters on the bottom and just pushed the boat off on to the dolly. This way we could still roll the boat around. With the motor out we could still push the capsule hydro with no problems. I imagine your lake boat would be close to our hydro with the capsule. Build it well and it will last. This is the third year we have used ours between our two boats.

BrendellaJet
    Ive flipped mine with 4 people. Not fun, but doable...Its heavy too.the more the better, just have a plan and let everyone know what they need to do.