Thread: trailer springs sprung

slalomskier
    In november I put my boat up on jack stands for the winter just like always.
    When I took it down last the weekend before last, I noticed that the trailer was sitting funny, higher than normal. I have a tandem axle competetive trailer. I looked under it and saw that one set of the springs on each side had dropped down so that the shackle is on the wrong side of the mount. Haven't spent but a few minutes trying to get it back but it didn't want to go. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS!
    Larry
    ---------------------------------
    when in doubt GAS IT!

MudPumper
    Had this broblem with a spring on my 4x4 after offroading one time. I took a long crowbar and stuck it in the shackle in the space between the upper and lower bolts and used it to put force on the spring. You will need two people for this, one to work the prybar and one to lower the jack. Mess with it a bit, you'll get it.

MudPumper
    Another idea would be to jack the trailer up, attach a come-a-long to the shackle to pull the shackle back out and then lower the trailer. Hope all of this makes sense.

slalomskier
    Thanks for the advise Mike. I'll give it a shot this weekend.
    Larry
    -------------------------
    when in doubt GAS IT!

Chris J
    It most likely pop out because you had taken too much weight off the springs or actually were suppending the axle weight from them causeing the shackles to over center. Jack it up from the front high enough to take all the weight off and pop it back in, and watch them as you lower the jack. You may have to reverse over center them on the way down.
    I've had this happen while jacking the front of a tandom trailer real high in order to load a 4x4 truck. We forgot the ramps. :eek!: