Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safe boating class?

76BARRON
    The local coast guard? "power squadron " is starting a safe boating class one night a week for the next 8 week's.
    It seem's like a good idea to me. On the plus side you will earn a certifacate (if you pass test) I am told when completed the the student's will be ahead (better?)than 90% of the boater"s out there? and the insurance company will give a 20% discount on boat insurance! forever! The class is free, but book's and stuff are $45.00 Has anybody out there done this?
    What do you guy's think?

manuel
    I did it for the discount and learned things too but got the required stuff on CD for less than $10. BoatUS also has an online course that you can do for free, same benefits except you don't get to hang out with other boat freaks,

Flying Tiger
    If you plan on Catalina runs,, the CG class is a good idea.
    From wet knot tieing to navigation,, excellent experience to be gained.

DeltaSigBoater
    I did the California Safe Boating Course, that wasnt too bad. I also have a United States Coast Guard License for Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel, unless you plan to start charter boat service, you should be fine w/ the us power squadron

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by 76BARRON
    The local coast guard? "power squadron " is starting a safe boating class one night a week for the next 8 week's.
    It seem's like a good idea to me. On the plus side you will earn a certifacate (if you pass test) I am told when completed the the student's will be ahead (better?)than 90% of the boater"s out there? and the insurance company will give a 20% discount on boat insurance! forever! The class is free, but book's and stuff are $45.00 Has anybody out there done this?
    What do you guy's think?
    Good idea, hell yeah. I took a correspondence course offered by the Dept. of Boating and Waterways. Cost was about the same, but it was a home study thing with an online test. You can find out about it on their web page.
    About 12 years ago, I took another correspondence course from DBW and got a certificate from them. I lost the cert and changed insurance companies so I needed a new one. But that cert. saved me 10% on my insurance for 12 years, not chump change.
    The amount of the discount depends on the insurance company.

RiverPirate
    I took mine on BoatSafe.com Class and testing online. The certificate was $15.00. The savings on insurance was 10 %, however they made the wife take the test also= $30.00. Pretty painless.

76BARRON
    Yep, Im going to do it ! I'll start the class tonight.
    7:30 pm to 9:30 pm.

FRENCHIE
    also started yesterday!

AdrenelineOD
    I can`t find it Call Me Lame then post the link please. I`ll pay you at the class

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by AdrenelineOD
    I can`t find it Call Me Lame then post the link please. I`ll pay you at the class '
    Like this one........Boating Safety (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/BoatSafeCourse.htm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast