Thread: Pump experience needed

Kachina72
    Hey all,
    Long-time lurker here. I could use a little advice. I have a 72 Kachina that I've done a major overhaul on over the past few years. I finally thought everything was done and took it out on the water to tune in the carb and play with the timing. Everything else is great, but the pump seems like its slipping badly.
    So what's involved in competely rebuilding the pump. Its an older Berkley Jet, and I expect that most parts will need to be replaced. Is this something that I can do? Is there machine work that will be necessary? I just don't have any idea what's involved and would love to get some insight before I pull it apart. Any books you guys'd recomend? A general outline of what I'd be doing would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tyler
    PS info from this forum has been a HUGE help in getting the boat to this point

BrendellaJet
    You can do it yourself. Manuals are available. Look for the Seloc manual... If the parts are in good shape, you sould probably build it. If it needs some attention, it may be best to bring it to a pro. Tell us where you are at and I bet someone can name a shop close to you who can do the work...Pics always help. You could get a good diagnosis here... What speed did it run, RPM? I could open up a can of worms and ask you what your speed plans were...

Kachina72
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I'm in Tucson, AZ. I've dealt with Larry's Engine and Marine some in the past and they were great but pricey. I'd probably go to them again if I need to have machining done but I'd be open to other suggestions too. If it ends up being reasonable, I'd like to do as much of the rebuild as I can.
    I'll get some pics of the boat up soon, and probably some of the pump after I take it apart. The pump slipped so much that there really wasn't much load on the motor, it would rev almost instantly to 5200 rpm and climb quickly to 5500. Top speed was only about 30mph. LOL, 30 mph at 5500 rpm! Surely there's a problem there. Carb was awesome though, no hesitation whatsoever. Its kind of a nostalgic hull, a little deep in the front and pretty short so I don't have very high top speed aspirations. The engine is a 455 with Mondello's jet boat cam and a 780 quadrajet (2 negatives make positive right?). Eventually I hope to move on to something faster but I'll finish this one and probably use it for a while. Hopefully till I have another one lake ready.

Jet Hydro
    30 mph at 5500 rpm
    you`v got big problems my friend (((BIG )))

Cas
    have you taken a look to see if you have a rope or something wrapped around the shaft? anyone in your neighborhood missing a cat?
    I'd suggest pulling the hand hole cover and taking a look. I'd also take a look from underneath, you just never know.

Kachina72
    anyone in your neighborhood missing a cat?
    LOL, great! I'll take a look this weekend and let you guys know what I find.

BrendellaJet
    yeah, check for an impeller too, sounds like its missing...LOL