Thread: solid driveshaft

e-ticket
    I would like to know the pros and cons of a solid drive line vs a standard drive line with the u-joints. Am planning on redoing the set up on my barron.

BGMAN203
    No room for error with a solid unit. Very time consuming getting everything lined up. But worth it.

DetroitJim
    How long is your driveline? Nothing really wrong with a driveshaft, provided it's balanced and restrained with a guard if it lets go. Solid shaft is safer. I went with a lenco shaft on my hydro. It requires that the crank centerline and v-drive centerline be parallel and concentric within a reasonable amount. The lenco shaft is splined both ends, there is a "button" for the crank and on the other end is a 2 piece male/female coupler that allows for 3 degrees or so of misalignment. There is play in the splines also so it doesn't have to be perfect. Everything is held in place with split collars, leaving 1/8 inch or so free play. I have pics of all this stuff somewhere if you need it.
    DJ

GofastRacer
    The Casale solid driveline couples to the v-drive the same as the prop shaft, the other end is splined. With this setup you have to be dead nuts, there is no plus or minus and it is a bitch to set up!. The Lenco deal(greek couplers)is splined male and female couplers on each end and according to Lenco you're allowed 2 degrees per coupler, I say the closer the better. If you run off the front(like E-Ticket plans)Lenco has a coupler for mounting inline motors that will take care of that situation. The cost is just about the same for either one. The Lenco is what I'm putting in my Raysoncraft, not putting in that big heavy clunker u-joint driveline and cover back in, besides it's a hell of a lot safer especially if you're running the power!....

eraser
    gary, go take a look at the "eraser" . the motors out so you can get a good close look at the driveline and the couplers. I have the casale driveline, but I agree with art if you are gonna be layin some power to it, I would go with the lenco. Just give my brother a call and go check it out. His canyon has the lenco so you could check out both set ups.

e-ticket
    Scott, will take up your offer to check out the setup on "eraser"
    Will have to do a cost comparison...also.