Thread: GMC Sonoma

My buddy just bought a used '03 GMC Sonoma. It's a pretty nice truck and is pretty torqy for beign a 6 cyl but then again i've always liked s10's.
    Anyway, it has the standard bumper ball dilio but no electrical for the trailer. he called the dealer and they told him that he could buy a kit and yadda yadda yadds and that he wouldnt have to splice into the wires that they kit just plugges into a harness. I looked under his truck last night and i didnt see anything like what they where talking about but then again it was dark. My guess is that they where thinking he was going to splice/hardwire the trailer into the electrical on the truck.
    I'm trying to find out from any of you who have experience with this, is there a harness up in there somewhere? If not i will need to splice one in i'm sure, wheres the best place to do this? I want to fuse also so that if there is a electrical problem it blows the fuse for the trailer and not all the lights on the truck, what size fuse a standard 10 or 15 amp?
    Any additional info on hooking it all up (wire colors, etc) would be great.

flat broke
    Yep, there is a harness up there
    The kit will be T that sits between a plug in the factory harness located in the middle/leftish side of the truck down behind the bumper. Hope that helps.
    Chris

Foggerjet
    S-10's actually tow pretty good. But unless your towing a small trailer with a mower or something on it, the truck needs a regular receiver hitch that mounts to the frame. the bumper hitches are typically much higher and don't have the load capacity. plus the trailer is easier to back up with a reciever hitch. I used to pull a race car, tools, fuel, etc with an S-10, Didn't set any speed records but it worked.
    fog
    Also Flat Broke is correct, there is a place in the harness for a T-conn, I had one on mine.

Flat Broke: I'll check my local kragen/autozone tomarow for this part. Hopefully they have it.
    Foggerjet: The manual rates the bumber at 3600 some odd Pounds. My buddy called the dealer today about having a tow package put on and they said that the kit could tow around 3900lbs. Only two advantages i see to having the kit is that if he puts bigger tires he will need to drop it down and that with a bumper hitch you can do extremly sharp turns.

Fiat48
    Trust me when I say buy a frame mounted hitch. Bumpers are just that...bumpers.
    If money is an object...then wrecking yards sell them for $50 or less.

Hallett19
    Those T wiring deals work great, take 5 min. to install and are super clean. I put one on my brother's old 1987 5spd 2.5 V6 S-10 regular cab long bed dropped on 18in. colorado customs (open diff) that towed my boat like a champ and another on a friend's 1500 and they were both perfect. As far as the bumper hitch goes, as long as there is not too much tounge weight, you should be fine, however you do loose alot of freedom in maneuverability when you are making tight turns, I hit the trailer on the bumper a few times with the bumber setup on the S-10 But it got me to the river and back and that is all that matters, right ?

rivercrazy
    Pep Boys has those

Kindsvater Flat
    I don't know about the s-10's but the full size trucks have the trailer harness tied up above the spare. This is on the 2000 and newer trucks that didn't come with the trailer tow package. If the s-10 is the same then you can just buy the plug.

AgentX85239
    the harness should be stuck to the body between the spare and the bumper. I got my plug at wal-mart for $12. I tow my boat with a 4cyl s-10 just fine, the v6 should do really good.