Thread: River On Television

Havasu Cig
    I was at the gym today and saw a piece on CNN (communist news network) about water polution in rivers in the United States. They said that the Colorado River topped the list, and the were showing footage of Havasu.
    There was some lady from an enviromental group on saying they were trying to get the EPA to enforce harsher standards on the rivers. There was no sound and I was trying to read subtitles, but it sounded like an anti boating story to me.
    More bad coverage of Havasu. Now it is the noise problems, and it sounds like it may soon be pollution problems. Hopefully this does not go anywhere. Just thought everyone would like to know this info.

cheezpanel
    I just got back from the river today. I read a story in the Yuma paper this morning about that. It talked about I think old rocket fuel or chemicals in the ground as well as maybe nitrate levels and waste levels being high...I'm not really sure what the chemicals were, but it said the Colorado River in places is higher than EPA standards. It even said they found traces in the lettuce grown in that area. A professor from the University discounted it though, saying that they've never found abnormally high levels in the water. Who knows....

RiverPirate
    Play in the water, DON'T DRINK THE WATER. Its that simple as far as I'm concerned.

locogringo
    a pretty big, serious problem is the level of Chromium that is headed in the direction of Topock Gorge (about 150 feet if memory serves correctly) that has been dumped by a plant out there. They are eradicating 150,000 gallons a day of this mess but there is a total of 100+ million gallons. Don't quote my exact figures but it is somewhere close in that vicinity. Chromium is the toxin that made Erin Brokovich famous in real life which was later played by Julia Robert.
    No levels are present in the Colorado as of yet but more steps need to be taken.

Boatcop
    The report didn't say that the Colorado River was the most polluted, but the most endangered.
    The potential for polution is there, although there's absolutely nothing wrong with the water right now.
    The chromium that was mentioned is in an underground plume that is dangerously close to the river water table, but is frantically being removed by PG&E before it reasches it.
    There are numerous radioactive dumps that are being proposed near the River that MAY leach into the watertable if approved for their requested locations.
    Hundreds of thousands of septic systems are near the water table, but are being addressed by the installation of municiple sewer systems, like are going in now along the PArker Strip and Lake Havasu, (among others)
    The statements and releases are being made by "conservationalists" (read environmentalist whackos) who want Lake Powell drained, SUVs, PWCs and 2 stroke engines banned, and all deserts closed to everything but snakes, tortises and lizards, and believe that Global Warming will kill us all off within 100 years.
    There's nothing wrong with the River. Most entities who draw their drinking water from here do not even treat the water, save for anti-bacteria and maybe flouride, before delivering it to their residents.

Liquid Courage
    Hey Chris, you have to be able to "Read" to read the sub-titles!
    Just another exampe of the tree huggers trying to put a damper on our fun.
    And let me get this straight....They are thinking of putting a toxic dump near the river but I cant add a second story to my house because of some indangered "Three horned bull lizard"!? WTF???
    And did you read the article in PBM about the channel and the levels of carbonmonoxide. Supposidly they are going to have picked one of three decisions by summer,
    1) Close the channel on major holidays
    2) Have the channel be one way only
    3) Not allow boats to beach on one of the two sides
    To be honest the one way thing wouldn't actually be that bad since the channel gets like the f*ckin 405 at 5 o'clock on the big holidays