Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of oil??

OutCole'd
    Should I run a special oil on my new 525? I know it is going to burn some, so between oil changes what do you peeps recommend?
    I have always liked Castrol & Quaker State.

fourspeednup
    I've heard it said that kendall 50wt is the shit,,,,,I run whatever 20-50 crap I can find since it comes out a milkshake after 4 hours anyway

396_Z
    Everyone swears by their particular brand of snake oil. Mine just happens to be Delo.
    More improtant is a good filter and since Luberfiner doesn't make smaller filters go with Baldwin.

Just Tool'n
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    I've heard it said that kendall 50wt is the shit,,,,,I run whatever 20-50 crap I can find since it comes out a milkshake after 4 hours anyway
    Everything I have ever read states do not run multi-viscosity oil in marine applications.
    I run straight 30wt, & I run Delo also, if it is good for hard working diesels, it should be fine for a boat motor.

GofastRacer
    I been running Castrol for 20 yrs no problems!..

Shallow Minded
    just curious, but what's the problem with multi-viscosity oil in a marine app?

LakesOnly
    I broke mine in on a petroleum-based oil for about 10 hours, got some good hard runs in the last few hours.
    Then I switched to a synthetic.
    LO

zmoz
    Amsoil all the way. If you have any kind of oil related failure they will buy you a new engine. I've seen it happen...

We use Mobil one Synthetic 10w 30. We tested it last race of the year last year, when I kicked a rod out and still stayed in it the back half of the quarter with no oil pressure with 7 cylinders at 7500 RPM (rookie mistake). Tore the motor down and the only thing wrong was a stuck piston and a broken rod. Crank and everything else looked okay (besides the block). What's this theory about not running multi-viscocity? We've never ran into any problems with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast