Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does anyone think about superchargers

Give Me Some Slack
    I would like to get a supercharger but they are expensive and do they really do that much for trucks and suv's. I have 2002 Tahoe. It is a gas guzzler. 12-16 mpg no boat. 9-12 with toybox or boat.

bigq
    They work great on a Ford or a Dodge ,but not a chevy.

dc96819
    Best improvement on my truck,get the whipple or radix,the radix has a intercooler with it,the whipple is lot easier to install.Id say if you only want 6 to 8 lbs of boost get the whipple

sigepmock
    I have a Whipple SC on my 2003 6.0L 2500HD and I love it. I was extremely dissappointed with the motor when I bought the truck. It was a dog, sucked gas around town, and even worse towing. I put the Whipple on myself in one long Saturday, paid about $5500 for everything, and I love the truck now. Runs smooth, very quiet, don't know it's there until you need it and then.....one hella kick in the pants. It's been very reliable so far, 18,000 miles on it and only one major problem but Whipple took care of me and replaced the whole compressor in two days. Turns out it had a bad bearing, fluke deal. I get 13mpg around town and in traffic and about 10 mpg towing my 14,000lb toy hauler and 13 to 14 towing the boat, truck doesn't even know it's back there. Only down side is having to run super-unleaded, hurts a little at the gas pump, but my milage has actually increased when towing because the truck doesn't have to work nearly as hard.
    I have also heard good things about the Radix SC but I don't have any personal experience with them. PM me if you want more info. about the Whipple.
    Good luck,
    Chris

Give Me Some Slack
    I have never heard of Radix. I have heard that whipple is real good. Are there any other modifications that I would have to do. I talk to a guy at the river that put in a whipple supercharger in, he had also put in a new fuel management system in. He also put on headers, an exhaust system, and an air intake system. He didn't say if he needed the fuel management system.

sigepmock
    The kit that Whipple sells is a complete kit that will work with no other mod's needed, it comes with a better flowing air cleaner......that being it said it's a good idea to put a free flowing exhaust and intake, it can only help. I did headers, 3" flow master exhaust, and a K&N FIP Kit. All helped the engine breath better and run cooler. I also used the Whipple Programmer when I installed the SC, it allowed me to correct spedo for tire change and also eliminate Torque Management, a GM programming thing that makes the truck shift weak and limits engine power to the tranny. It was designed to make the tranny last longer but it makes it drive and tow like a piece of Sh$t. For the guys with the half ton trucks I have heard that some minor work should be done to the tranny but I'm not sure what. With the 3/4 ton the 4L80 hasn't given me any problems.

sigepmock
    Here's a link that has a lot of good info. Go to the Performance section and Supercharger section.
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/index.php?s= (http://)

sigepmock
    The Radix is made by Magnacharger,
    here's a link.
    Magnacharger (http://magnacharger.com/systems.htm)
    I'm partial to the Whipple but I have heard good things about the Radix.

Give Me Some Slack
    Thanks for the info. I have did some modifications to my Tahoe. Things include a flow master exhaust and a hypertec computer programmer. I noticed a difference when towing a boat. It did less shifting with the programmer.

sigepmock
    I had the hypertech before and it helped but you have to remove it before a SC install. Hypertech won't work with any of the Superchargers. Sold mine on e-bay.
    Like I said before the supercharger made the truck a whole different truck. I can't imagine not having one now. Definately worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast