Thread: Open Face Or Full Face Helmet?

Da-Bull
    I am new to the boat scene and need a little advise. I hope to be running in the 10-50 sec. class at the NJBA May Bakersfield run. I have all my saftey gear and am ready to buy a helmet. Can you guy's give me some advise. Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

schiada96
    I don't know much about dragboats but I have raced stand up jet ski. We didn't want anything with a visor they would hurt if ya got off.

In my opinion, For what you want to do, I would start with an open face helmet. If you are planning on running 10's or around there and you are new to the scene, the open face helmet gives you a chance to see more around you as well as hear more. The next few months are going to be hot and the open face is much more pleasant than a closed. On the safety side some people say the closed face is the way to go but I disagree. The argument is that you wont get a face full water or the helmet wont act like a bucket and dig into the water. We are required to have neck restraints now and these have helped in many crashes. To me the rub between open and full face is when you are being treated after a crash. I watched a buddy of mine being treated with an open face helmet and they could not remove it from his head. He head the chin strap yanked so tight that they could not get scissors in between to cut the straps. Now if He were unconscious this would have been valuable time before trying to resuscitation. Had he been wearing an open mask, they could have performed CPR with the helmet on. I wear a full face because it limits my vision of the boat in the other lane. Guys that live up near you like Wally wear a full face because they are down right ugly.
    Hope this helps.

schiada96
    Who says your not ugly

My mommy!!:yuk: :yuk:

DetroitJim
    I went full face after reading about the guy who crashed wearing an open face with goggles. He took it so bad in the face it exploded his sinuses and popped one eyeball out. Simpson Bandit for me. And don't forget the ballistic shorts to prevent the dreaded 100 mph enema.
    DJ

I agree with DetroitJim. I know that they tend to get uncomfortable but to it seems to be a little safer. They both have pros and cons.

Kurtis500
    Closed face, just in case..

77charger
    I wear a closed face helmet main reason being is that i wear contacts so i dont have to worry about them sliding in my eyes at high speed,The other if i were killed in an accident well my face would be intact for an open casket funeral(seriously).
    With the mandatory use of helmet restarints i dont think there is much difference between the two as far as safety for your head goes.

CircleJerk
    My .02 worth. Last year a driver flipped in front of me. He came up waving his arms and facing me. He later stated, that with a neck brace and a full face helmet and shield, he could not breath until the water drained out. It had filled the helmet and it took some time to drain! He could see me but didnt dare open his mouth! How would this be different if knocked unconscious? The other thing is the potential for snapping you neck upon entry due to the bucket effect. I also know a driver who was wearing one and still died upon impact with the boats deck. I prefer the open style so I can see the gremlin that gets me! And scare him with my looks! Hey, its a dangerous job but someone has to do it! Maybe an inney miney moe deal........