Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery help

phebus
    I need to know what would be the best battery system to install. Presently, there are four blue top Optimas in the boat, but it is time to replace them. One is for starting, and goes to number 1 on the Perko switch, and the other three are for the stereo and go to number 2 on the Perko switch.
    One of my concerns, is the load placed on the alternator by the stereo battery bank, and don't know if they should even go to the Perko or just go straight to the stereo system. Charging would be done each evening with an external charger.
    My other concern is what battery's to replace the Optimas with. New Optimas, or a 6V system. I also don't know if I go with the Optimas if I want to dedicate three for the stereo, or drop down to two, and if I go with the 6V system if I should go with two or four. Weight is a concern. Also if I go with the 6V system, I'm not sure what the best way to mount them would be.
    Any advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Rick

Havasu Hangin'
    I won't comment on the 6 volts.
    However, I wouldn't run your system directly to the batteries. Amps have capacitance built-in, which will drain your batteries while sitting (even if the stereo and amps are off).
    My solution? Two Perko switches and a big-ass alternator. With that, you can control what gets charged (or not charged) by the alternator, and you can turn everything off for storage.

phebus
    How do the two switches wire in, and do I really gain much by having the alternator charge the stereo battery's? From what I've read in the past, run time is usually not enough to recharge the battery's anyway, but maybe the larger alternator changes that.
    Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
    If you use the battery bank as a stand-alone system, just wire another Perko (on-off) switch before your circuit breaker. That way, you can turn the batteries off when it's stored.
    If you want the alternator to be able to charge all the batteries, just wire the Perkos together, with each battery to it's own position. That's how I did mine.
    Like this, I know that #1 on the #1 switch is my starting battery, and the others are my deep cycle. If I park the boat, and I am listening to the stereo with the engine off, I merely switch to the deep cycle batteries. When I start the boat to leave, I can either switch back to the starting battery, or leave it on one (or more) of the deep cycles to get a charge to them.
    Yes, each battery is a load on the alternator (I wouldn't recommend trying to charge a big bank of deep cycles), but individually, a 100 amp alternator can really put a dent in a depleted deep cycle battery or two...depending on how much you run your boat.
    To your point, if you only go from the LHC Marina to the channel...it won't help much...if you know what I mean.

phebus
    If the water is good, we do a lot of boating. I just want to be prepared for the days when it is blowing hard, and sitting for long periods is a reality.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by phebus
    If the water is good, we do a lot of boating. I just want to be prepared for the days when it is blowing hard, and sitting for long periods is a reality.
    Tough call. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. It's all a tradeoff.

shadow
    I used to kill 4 optimas in less than an hour.my solution was one
    battery Lifeline appears to be your average 8d but it's not.weighs about 130 lbs.last weekend cranked my system for about 8hrs straight at full throttle and still started the boat.I've got 2 of them never had to use the second in an 8hr session.this is the third year cranking no problem.pm me if your interested

ROZ
    Originally posted by shadow
    I used to kill 4 optimas in less than an hour.my solution was one
    battery Lifeline appears to be your average 8d but it's not.weighs about 130 lbs.last weekend cranked my system for about 8hrs straight at full throttle and still started the boat.I've got 2 of them never had to use the second in an 8hr session.this is the third year cranking no problem.pm me if your interested
    Locogringo also uses the 8d battery in his system without any problems...

phebus
    Will the standard alternator work with an 8D battery, or do you have to upgrade to a 100+ amp one?

phebus
    A few more questions:
    Who makes the one's people are using?
    How much do they cost?
    On the Lifeline battery website, it lists the 8D battery as 162lbs, how the hell do you lower that into the bilge? (hernia, and something broken on the boat)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast