Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lookin' for a new 'puter

phebus
    Dell was good until I needed tech service. Sorry, but I couldn't understand them.

bigq
    The Dells are good for all around, not a speed demon, but good. The XPS tested out very good though. it depends onwhat you use it for and how much you want to spend.

Kachina26
    Dell was good until I needed tech service. Sorry, but I couldn't understand them.
    What do you mean? (http://www.angelfire.com/il/simpsons...ges/twinky.wav)

goneboatin
    I guess I'll be checking out some Dells. Are there any items that I should make sure I get on the unit?

C-2
    I've owned about a dozen computers since about 1990. Only within the last 3-4 years have computers finally surpassed the software. Before that, you continually needed update your computer just to run the latest software.
    Buy whatever is on sale and you'll be fine. I've bought my last two desktops for about $500 each and currently am going on my 3rd year with the same computer (before that it seemed every two years was about the turnaround time). I also use my computer for business, including accounting programs, resource hog graphics programs, and numerous other specialty business programs.
    Same holds true for laptops. $400 and the Acer I bought more than satisfies my needs, including a mobile office. I can receive faxes, send them and print anything from the field, virtually a mobile office.
    Unless you're a hardcore gamer, most of the computers you see at the electronic stores are fine.

RandyH
    I guess I'll be checking out some Dells. Are there any items that I should make sure I get on the unit?
    Well if it is for home I would make sure it would have a easy access plug in for a memory stick reader, a CD, DVD burner drive, and I would make sure it would have a wireless connection internally. Then you can have a wireless access point anywhere in the house and not worry about where your going to locate it in the house. No worries about the phone line or CAT 5 cable plug ins.
    These would be my main concerns for home .
    Good Luck,
    RandyH

Sane Asylum
    Best Buy.......Monday after Christmas........Toshiba Satellite......40 gig HD, 1.5 gig processor, 400 mghz bus, 512 meg DDR2 ram, atheros wireless card, 1 pcmcia slit (freudian slip), 15" monitor.....
    $499.00

HocusPocus
    i purchased 2 e machines from bestbuy and after rebates they ended up costing around $300 each. the last e machines we bought are over 2 years old and never had a problem.

HPB
    Dell Outlet
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/defa...n&s=dfh&~ck=mn
    Best overall go with Pentium 4 no celeron crap no AMD ( not because it's a faster processor, but because it has compatability problems ) if you go with a laptop get a centrino processor I've been in computers for over 22 years and I have to say they (DELL) are the most dependable and YES somtimes customer service is rough but if you insist on talking to a level 2 tech it will get resolved allot faster. One last thing buy a new monitor not used, at the outlet 1 even 2 pixels out is acceptable, But not for ME.... So good luck.... :rollside:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12