Thread: Gauges and senders

Danhercules
    I bought some Auto meter gauges for my boat. I got the "Old Tyme" gauges. I love the look. They are an auto gauge. I was talking to somone, and he said that the senders I have on my block now wont work with the new gauges. He says they will be backwards. New senders came with the gauges, so I am gonna change them out anyway, but is this true? I have never head of this. I thought senders were the same.

Hustler
    Use the senders that came with the gauges, some gauges will give you a fals reading if they are not matched to the sender. I have never heard of getting a backwards reading, just not an accurate one.

hack job
    Originally posted by Hustler
    Use the senders that came with the gauges, some gauges will give you a fals reading if they are not matched to the sender. I have never heard of getting a backwards reading, just not an accurate one.
    YUP
    i have heard the same

I don't know about backwards but they may not read accurate. With any gauge you need the sender designed for the gauge.

Nucking futs
    Dan ,the guy you asked was backwards.Not to bash anyone ,but always get a second opion on anything he tells you.Just been my expience.

Danhercules
    Originally posted by Nucking futs
    Dan ,the guy you asked was backwards.Not to bash anyone ,but always get a second opion on anything he tells you.Just been my expience.
    Yea I asked you!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    He was the 2nd person I asked. He did not know.
    I was told by the 1st person, they will not work. I am almost positive he said somthin about being backwards. So, he is kinda right, CHANGE EM!!!!!
    Thanks for the replys, I thought a sender was a sender was a sender. I learneded somthin today!!!!!! I was gonna change em anyway, cause they are new. Thanks again.

Moneypitt
    The person that said it will be backward probably tried to use "light" senders with gauges. The gauge senders increase continuity to ground as temp/pressure come up, thereby the gauge,(which is actually an ohm meter) registers higher readings. With "lights" the oil sender is grounded at 0 pres. and the light is on,(key on/engine off) when the engine starts the ground goes away and the light goes out, lose pres, and the ground/light come back. So if you tried to use a light sender on a gauge it would read highest at rest, and lower when running........That said, always try to use the senders that came with the gauges, even the same brand could have a different resistence to ground in a different production run..........Moneypitt