Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any good books?

78Eliminator
    I want to build a blower motor and need to know how to get started. Where is a good place. I have decent NA experience but don't know a lot of the dos and don'ts to making a endurance blower motor. How did you guys get started?
    Infomaniac? Blown472? Froggystyle? Come on blower guys, let me know...

Blown 472
    78Eliminator:
    I want to build a blower motor and need to know how to get started. Where is a good place. I have decent NA experience but don't know a lot of the dos and don'ts to making a endurance blower motor. How did you guys get started?
    Infomaniac? Blown472? Froggystyle? Come on blower guys, let me know...I bought that building street blower book, and spent alot of time of the phone with Kevin at Kuhl's he used to build offshore blown bbc and helped me put my motor together and tune it. Just my two cents.
    Endurance is related to how much boost you are going to run and how much wot time, one thing to keep in mind that boost is load sensative and since jet boats make more load as they increase in rpm you will probably be in boost sooner then a car. Aside from bearing issues, I run a cast crank, stock preped rods, studded mains and heads and rework the oiling system but I am only making nine pounds of boost.
    [ November 21, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

78Eliminator
    Blown 472:
    78Eliminator:
    Infomaniac? Blown472? Froggystyle? Come on blower guys, let me know...I bought that building street blower book, and spent alot of time of the phone with Kevin at Kuhl's he used to build offshore blown bbc and helped me put my motor together and tune it. Just my two cents.I was thinking about getting that book. It's published by the same people that gave up "Smokey Yunick's Power Secrets" which was an awesome read. I also read "How to performance Tune a Holley" but the entire book was very long winded and could have been cut down to about 10-20 pages. The basic premise was that most mods to carbs do nothing but **** up the stock configuration and there is no proof that half of the "go fast" mods do ANYTHING except maybe make you LOOSE HP. He said to basically take it out of the box, then just figure out what powervalves and jets you need and it's a done deal for the most part. Not rocket science at all. The engineers who designed the carbs took care of that....

Blown 472
    Pretty much, they have also figured the best jetting for the size of the venturi and if you are jetting way up then something else is wrong.
    The beauty of the holley is the power valves due to the increased load under higher rpm you can bring more fuel in at the rpm you want by using a power valve.

78Eliminator
    Blown 472:
    Pretty much, they have also figured the best jetting for the size of the venturi and if you are jetting way up then something else is wrong.
    The beauty of the holley is the power valves due to the increased load under higher rpm you can bring more fuel in at the rpm you want by using a power valve.I don't use power valves and wasn't planning on it. I don't want to have to drill a bunch of holes in my base plates for boost referencing. With a blower, is that going to be a problem? I am usually standing on the gas, or idling and not much in between. There is an occasional cruise up the river at about 4500-5000 rpms but I am usually on it.

Blown 472
    Thats cool, I dont use them in my blown motors either, I put a vacuum gauge on my motor at idle and it was like 35 hg of vac. so I figured kinda like pissing up a roap.

78Eliminator
    Blown 472:
    Thats cool, I dont use them in my blown motors either, I put a vacuum gauge on my motor at idle and it was like 35 hg of vac. so I figured kinda like pissing up a roap.Good. I sent you a PM to the alcoa e-mail address...

Blown 472
    78Eliminator:
    Blown 472:
    Thats cool, I dont use them in my blown motors either, I put a vacuum gauge on my motor at idle and it was like 35 hg of vac. so I figured kinda like pissing up a roap.Good. I sent you a PM to the alcoa e-mail address...I got it and will ship

Infomaniac
    Kuhl and BDS have enough good info on their web site to fix up your brain.
    If that does not do it, I will be glad to build you one. wink

78Eliminator
    Infomaniac:
    Kuhl and BDS have enough good info on their web site to fix up your brain.
    If that does not do it, I will be glad to build you one. wink I appreciate that, but half the fun is the building, trial & error, blood, sweat and tears and the eventual feeling of accomplishment. Is that how you got going (the web sites, etc.)?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast