Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Valley Lake / Equal use ?

CA Stu
    Read this in the Press the other day. Nice to see someone trying to right what is in my opinion a wrong.
    Voters were promised a multi use lake, got a very limited use reservoir.
    Good for Bill Morrow!
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    12:13 AM PDT on Tuesday, April 20, 2004
    By JIM MILLER / Sacramento Bureau
    SACRAMENTO - State Sen. Bill Morrow recalls visiting the site of what was planned to be one of the largest reservoirs in the country about 12 years ago.
    "I remember saying way back then ... 'Look at all the recreational opportunities,' " Morrow, R-Oceanside, said Monday. " 'Not so fast,' I was told.'"
    At Diamond Valley Lake, Southern California's largest reservoir, people can fish or stroll along its shores. But anyone who takes a dip in the lake risks a $100 fine. The Metropolitan Water District, which built and operates the reservoir, contends that swimming and wading jeopardize the emergency water supply for 18 million people.
    Morrow, though, says he believes the fears are overblown. Seven months after the reservoir opened to the public, he is pushing a bill to add Diamond Valley Lake to four other reservoirs - in Stanislaus, El Dorado, San Luis Obispo and San Diego counties - exempted from a state law that prohibits bodily contact with public drinking-water supplies.
    "There are a lot of people from my district who would be utilizing it. Nobody's been able to convince me why it's so bad to allow bodily contact or swimming in a huge reservoir when all the treatment facilities are downstream," Morrow said.
    Morrow's measure, SB 1251, was scheduled to face its first committee hearing Monday. The senator pulled it off the agenda, however, and its future is uncertain. Friday is the deadline for Senate policy committees to hear Senate legislation. The bill could still resurface later through rule waivers or other legislative maneuvers.
    "I'm still very determined on it," Morrow said.
    Yet the measure faces strong opposition. Besides MWD, several water districts - including Western Municipal Water District in Riverside County - have come out against the measure.
    Easing Diamond Valley's ban on bodily contact, MWD officials said, would undermine the reservoir's purpose as an emergency backup in case of a disruption of water supplies from the Colorado River or Sacramento-San Joaquin Bay Delta.
    "Our board believes very strongly that if this is a facility to help us meet emergencies that we have to take special care to protect the quality of the water," said MWD spokesman Adan Ortega.
    To meet recreational needs, including swimming, the district is planning to build a small lake and other facilities to the east of Diamond Valley Lake, Ortega said. Moreover, he said, Diamond Valley Lake is better left to anglers because of the reservoir's depth.
    The district has invited Morrow to return to Diamond Valley Lake for another visit.
    "If I'm convinced that there really is a legitimate public safety issue, then I'll be first to back off," Morrow said.

Three Days Only
    Good for him, I glad to see someone going to bat to get more usage on the lake. Now if they can open the lake up to performance boats, we would be set.
    Jeff

one day,..while at diamond valley lake, i was taking lunch break and had to take a piss REAL bad,i noticed over yaunder that there was a cliff so i wondered how it would feel to piss in the wind (with the wind!) did'nt think too much of it but now that i know its a resource for our water supply....i dont drink out of the tap!!
    j/k

What's Poppin'
    Where exactlyis this lake located?

What's Poppin'
    Thanks Forensic...you da man

Ziggy
    Originally posted by toddnjuzz
    ....i dont drink out of the tap!! j/k
    I don't know many people who do anymore..damn plastic bottles all over the place instead

Boozer
    Originally posted by Forensic
    Its cause the tap water has so much shit in it, it tastes like crap. So do some of the bottled waters but at least you get to pick which one you get.
    You know, there is more chlorine in tap water than there is in a pool....
    How is that the case when you fill a pool up with tap water and then add more chlorine to it?
    I don't understand this lake. I think it's the biggest crock of all crocks. They drain the Colorado river to fill it up and then say they have it in case the colorado river ever gets disrupted. Didn't they pretty much destroy the colorado river just filling the thing up in the first place?

Boozer
    Originally posted by Forensic
    It has something to do with the Sun... I'm not a scientist, I have just heard it on more than one occasion.
    The sun is a natural dechlorinator. When all chem'd up though a pool has a lot more chlorine in it then tap water. Either way I'm not drinking out of the pool or the faucet.

Ziggy
    Originally posted by Boozer
    The sun is a natural dechlorinator. When all chem'd up though a pool has a lot more chlorine in it then tap water. Either way I'm not drinking out of the pool or the faucet.
    Sun and disapation into the atmosphere....
    Dogs don't seem to have a problem with drinking poolwater.
    My favorite sign for Pool areas: Welcome to our "ool", notice there is no "P" in the word pool, we'd like to keep it that way.

wsuwrhr
    I still want to ask whoever is in charge there,"Where the **** do you think the water came from in the first place, a protected spring?
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast