Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building a 460 on a budget

Ranz1
    Soon i will be starting a build on my 460 BBF. Is it possable to build a a good reliable motor for $3000 ? It is a D1VE block with D2VE heads, Stock everthing. Were do i start? What kind of horsepower can i expect? I know nothing about building a motor. Someone is helping me with the build who has raced the 428 (or is it 427) engines in race cars but from what i understand jet boat motors should have more clearances. It will be in a '78 CVX-20 with a Berk JE and of course i want to go FAST.
    I think i will start on the heads first......They are still together, Should i completele dismantill them or should i just give to the machine shop complete? What should i have done by a machinist? what valves, springs, ect should i use?
    REMEMBER COST IS A ISSUE.............

Blown 472
    If they are d2ve's sorry to say they are open chamber junk, you will have a motor that will ping because you cant get the quench area where it needs to be with those heads. You still have an intake? if you have the stock iron cj intake it is a good piece. If you can find a set of c8, c9 or d0 heads get a good valve job on them and with a trw replacement piston you have about 10 to 1 comp ratio.
    A nice hydraulic cam, recurve the dist and put an 850 on it and you will have a great motor that will last. Yes there are diff clearances and you should do a little work to the brgs. Get ahold of lakes only or 058 and they can give ya tha skinny on where to set up the clearances and I am sure lakes will have some more to offer. Btw, isky makes an nice cam for the 460 for marine use.

Ranz1
    As i look in some stuff i also have a set of D0VE and D3VE heads. I also must be able to run on sh!% gas as on the lake i go on only has low octane gas avalable (87 i think). I have been know to go through 2-3 tanks of fuel when camping. I think its a 24 gallon tank. What can i say i LOVE geing on the water And i dont want to get involved in bringing gas (that is impossable) or have to add octane boosters.

78Eliminator
    Originally posted by Ranz1
    As i look in some stuff i also have a set of D0VE and D3VE heads. I also must be able to run on sh!% gas as on the lake i go on only has low octane gas avalable (87 i think). I have been know to go through 2-3 tanks of fuel when camping. I think its a 24 gallon tank. What can i say i LOVE geing on the water And i dont want to get involved in bringing gas (that is impossable) or have to add octane boosters.
    If you really want to do a cheapie rebuild, and not ask a lot out of the motor, go here. You can get a rebuild kit for $300. That's pretty god damned cheap, if you ask me.
    http://www.enginekits.com/catalog.html

Blown 472
    The dove's have screw in studs, unless you have the rail type rockers you will need to put in guide plates. If you have the quench set up right and recurve the dist I would think 10 to 1 with pump gas should not be a problem.
    If you run the d3ve's you have about 9 to 1 but you wont have adustable valve train. You can shim the rocker pedistal to get correct lifter preload (Note I have push rods and shims if interested) You want to go fast but have a budgit, you should figure out just what you want to do, as the age old saying goes "speed cost money"

Ranz1
    What is a relistic HP number with this budget?
    I do want a good, reliable motor that can handle the WOT blast.....Should i just spent the money on a Ford crate from Jegs?

Ranz,
    YOu can quote HP all day long because it is "Theory". Torque is real deal. If you get some headwork done, decent matched camshaft, I agree with Blown, shoot for 10 to 1 . It would be a legit 500HP/550#/ft engine.
    Chris

Ranz1
    Originally posted by cstraub69
    Ranz,
    It would be a legit 500HP/550#/ft engine.
    Chris
    I like the sound of that

Ranz1
    Originally posted by Blown 472
    Btw, isky makes an nice cam for the 460 for marine use.
    What is the number? Can i get it from Jegs or PAW

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Ranz1
    What is the number? Can i get it from Jegs or PAW
    It is a 280 mega hydraulic
    232 @ .050 on both intake and exhaust
    110 cl
    Nice cam first performance cam in my boat, now it is in my buddies truck.
    grind number is 311281/10

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast