Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic bunk boards or bunk covers?

El Prosecutor
    Anybody had experience with plastic bunk boards:
    http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/catalog.html
    or bunk covers:
    http://www.bunkaps.com/product.html
    ??
    I am a little paranoid about how slippery they might be, and if the lack of friction would put a strain in the hull during starts and stops on the trailer (possibly ripping the eye out of the bow?)

Heatseeker
    I'm going with wood covered with carpet when I do mine(I've been putting it off for 2 years ). I think the carpet will provide a better surface than either of those products. Did you see the price of those things? They're pretty proud of their stuff!

blown428fe
    I Think The Carpet Will Be More Forgiving When You Get Some Sand Up In There Then The Hard Plastic Mashing It Into Your Hull. Go With The Wood, It Will Last A Long Time.

Duane HTP
    I had them on the boat lift at my lake house and had to remove them. They scratched the hell of of my boat bottom.

El Prosecutor
    I am in agreement with you all - I went out and got all the treated wood I need for $30 at Home Depot. Been working on some braces to lift the boat off the trailer this afternoon, now heading out for mexican food and stainless lag bolts.
    I have been thinking of a name for the boat; "money pit" is starting to sound appropriate, but it sure is fun!

BigBlockBaja
    now heading out for mexican food and stainless lag bolts.
    How does that combo taste? Sounds very interesting. Must be hell when its comming out though.... Thoughts on this?

El Prosecutor
    now heading out for mexican food and stainless lag bolts.
    How does that combo taste? Sounds very interesting. Must be hell when its comming out though.... Thoughts on this?
    That was a pretty bad sentence, wasn't it?
    Worse yet, the place was out of the bolts I needed.
    On the bright side I was able to use the lure of mexican food to get the little red-headed girl to go with me, and mexican food was great!

Aluminum Squirt
    We use similar stuff on the aluminum boats, but we don't have to worry about the scratches and stuff. I agree with everybody else, probably not a good choice for a glass hull-Aluminum Squirt

SmokinLowriderSS
    I am in agreement with you all - I went out and got all the treated wood I need for $30 at Home Depot. Been working on some braces to lift the boat off the trailer this afternoon, now heading out for mexican food and stainless lag bolts.
    I have been thinking of a name for the boat; "money pit" is starting to sound appropriate, but it sure is fun!
    Summer 2003 I just threw the new bunks, already carpeted, in the back of the truck with the camping gear and went to the lake for 4July weekend. Changed them while the boat was floating happily in her element. Took cordless 12V drill/driver with me for tools.

El Prosecutor
    Summer 2003 I just threw the new bunks, already carpeted, in the back of the truck with the camping gear and went to the lake for 4July weekend. Changed them while the boat was floating happily in her element. Took cordless 12V drill/driver with me for tools.
    Definitely the best way to do it - I am 15 minutes from a lake and it would have been easy, but I have the jet out for rebuild and can't launch the boat. I probably would have waited to fix the trailer, but one of the boards is actually broken, and some of them aren't even screwed to the frame (tied to the frame with rope!) I don't want the hull to get damaged or warped while waiting for the jet rebuild which probably won't be finished for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast